Friday, July 19, 2019

Bananas, sunrise, chair.


 I have had a few days of no appointments, no chemo, no lab draws.  This felt great.  Had to go for Myeloma labs on July 10th for appointment with Dr. Sarriera on the 18th.  Then on July 15th, I had labs and EKG for my surgical clearance appointment with Dr Henley (my PCP) on July 19th.

Meanwhile as I waited for appointments, my feet and ankles started to swell.  And boy did they swell.  Contacted Dr. Sarriera and he prescribed Lasix.  One pill a day for 10 days.  Finally, after 8 days, my ankles and feet look normal. Left one still swells some but nothing like it had.

Was so glad I had an appointment with Dr. Sarriera before surgery.  Just needed his feelings on our decision.  My Lambda light chains continue to go up.  Last time was 17 and this time 21.  Dr. Sarriera feels this will go down once the tumor is removed.  My platelets did go up, which is a good "up".  94 from the 26 several weeks ago.  My M spike is still staying constant at .01.  So mostly all good numbers.  Dr. Sarriera doesn't always show what he is thinking on his face.  There are times, when he walked in smiling, that we knew we had good news.  Those times were times we cherished.  He asked us about our visit to the neurosurgeon, Dr. Garcia.  Told him about what transpired during the 45 minute appointment.  Then told him of our decision to go with surgery and possible radiation after a period of healing.  Wasn't too sure of his feelings about this at first.  Didn't feel he was happy with that decision.  But as we talked more about it, I felt he was on board with us.  We, once again, discussed the 3 options.  Option 1 - Continue trying different chemos knowing that all the others over the last 3 years had failed.  So felt this option was out until the tumor was removed.  Hoping the surgery and possible radiation will remove what Myeloma is there.  Option 2 - Just radiation on the area of the tumor.  This, as we know, worked on the area it was focused on before but a lump came up before radiation was finished.  And several lumps and a mass in near my spine over the 3 years.  Option 3 - Surgery to removed the tumor and possible radiation once I have healed from the surgery.
I asked him who would make the decision if I had to have radiation.  His answer was it would be something Dr. Nanda and he would decided once healed.  Discussed a bit more about the surgery.  He did an exam of me which included measuring the tumor.  He noted it had grown.  Wants me to come back in 4 weeks.

Dr. Sarriera wants to repeat all base line reports after surgery.  Thus, Pet Scan, CT scans, bone marrow biopsy, MRIs etc.  He then told us if and when, more like when, surgery,  radiation and tests are done, he wants to try me on a chemo drug called Thalidomide.  It was a first-line treatment for Multiple Myeloma in combination with Dex.  This chemo drug was the main drug until Revlimid came about.  He then asked if we needed anything more from him, wished me luck, shook our hands and left.

July 15th was my lab draw and EKG at my PCP's office to be discussed at my surgery clearance appointment on July 19th.  Met with Dr. Henley on the 19th.  We reviewed my labs, all good except my sugar level.  This will not caused problems for surgery.  All other labs and EKG good.  She asked me how I was feeling.  Told her I was anxious about the surgery and hope I made the right decision.  I then told her the 3 options and the reasons behind each.  Dr. Henley will write up notes of our visit and her recommendation to allow surgery and fax to Dr. Garcia's office.  This is the one thing I have been waiting on to be completed.  Worried as I was about this info getting to Dr. Garcia, I mentioned it several times throughout my appointment with her and her staff.  And since this office is in tune to their patients, I got a call several hours later they had sent all info to Dr. Garcia's office and not to worry.  :).

So all this means that my surgery is scheduled for July 29th.  Surgery starts at 7:30 but we have to be at the hospital at 5 AM.  And me being such a morning person.  But, I will have Bill and our two daughters with me. Yes, two daughters.  Kerri and Ana are flying in next week for Kerri to be with me.  Something I really wanted.  Makes my heart happy.  I know all will go well but just something I wanted.  Just something I needed.  My two daughters.

I received news this week about two of my friends.  Not good news.  One, I just recently met. One who just recently had a bone marrow transplant.  One who has Myeloma.   So bubbly, so sweet.  She has what is called Gliomatosis cerebri. This is a rare brain tumor that spreads very quickly and is very difficult to treat with radiation or surgery.    Her team of doctors are sending her to NCI in Maryland to help make a plan for her.  My other friend was just diagnosed with breast cancer.  She will need chemo and it's possible that she may have to have a double mastectomy.  Things are up in the air for her until she sees the oncologist next week.  So as she says and I so know what she means, CANCER SUCKS.  Please keep my friends and all of us who have cancer, in your prayers.

If I don't post before surgery, I will try to post as soon as I can.  Or have Kristi post a bit of an update.

Today at my appointment with Dr. Henley, I was given a paper that I was told to fill out.  Well, there was nothing on there to fill out but I noticed this sheet of paper had info that the nurse was to question me on during my exam.  Like draw a clock and then add the hands to the clock to show 11:10.  Say  three words to the patient and have them repeat them back.  Then in about 10 minutes, ask them them to repeat the three words again.  So I decided to memorize them.  Hey, it was their fault they gave me the wrong paper right???  The three words were bananas, sunrise and chair.   See I still remember them.

Quote:

Accept the reality, embrace the pain and find the courage to move forward one day at a time is the only way to beat cancer.







2 comments:

  1. I love you!!! CANCER SUCKS!!! But God is bigger than cancer! You are in my continued prayers. This is definitely not something we would have chosen, but here we are. All we can do is fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And fight we will Tonya. Even after 3 years, I am fighting. And will continue to fight one day at a time. Loves ya too.

    ReplyDelete