Saturday, January 14, 2017

60 Days!

Two months ago today I received my bone marrow transplant.  Two months ago today I was not expecting what I was going to go through to get to this point.  Days of just laying in bed, no energy
just going through the motions.  Sick from the chemo, having the nurses helping me with things like a shower when I got sick, making sure I took my meds, trying to eat but having no appetite, trying to drink but nothing tasted like it used to.  Waiting for the doctor to come in each morning hoping for a release from the hospital.  Finally it was time to move to the hotel.  Was time for Bill to have me by his side 24/7.  Again, laid in bed most of the time because I hated that hotel suite.  Would get up each day in order to go to the hospital for labs, drips of potassium, calcium or fluids whatever I was lacking.  Several weeks I hope and pray I never have to go through again.   Finally after almost 2 weeks at the hotel, a total of about 27 days with the hospital stay, we were allowed to come home.  Home, where I wanted to be to recuperate.  Home!  Had a few weeks of the same a lot of sleeping, no energy, no appetite, not able to drink a lot and a few bouts of sickness.  Mashed potatoes, actually Bob Evans brand, was all I wanted to eat here and at the hotel.  Bill had bought all kinds of foods but I wanted nothing but those mashed potatoes.  Finally I started to have some energy.  Very little but some.  Started walking around the pool, 3 times around.  I tried to increase this by at least 2 laps each day.  Didn't seem to sleep as much during the day.  My sisters came to visit.  I struggled to visit with them but did it.  I am sure their visit helped with me gain energy.  Started to take over some of the household chores, laundry, cooking and started going to the grocery store with Bill.  Walking 20 times around the pool, 25 times around the pool, 30 times around the pool and now, if I don't walk around the neighborhood, 50 times around the pool.  Appetite is getting better.  Eating a lot more than mashed potatoes.  Drinking more water, juices and Bill's ginger tea.  Had Christmas Day here with Kristi, Matt, Sasha, Ellie and Mom.  Had Kristi and girls over one night for pizza.  Had Michelle and Gery over for New Year's Day pork, sauerkraut and mashed potatoes.  Have walked over to Michelle and Gery's several times just to visit a bit.  Watched Ellie for the day and even broke out the sewing machine to help her make a pillow and mattress for her doll.  Sewing machine is still out and I have even sewed some quilt blocks together.  Bill no longer has to be with me 24/7 but still keeps a good watch on me.  Still there when I have my days that I don't want to be a cancer victim , I feel ugly when I look in the mirror and just need a "crying" day.  Still there to get me my meds several times a day. Still there to help me with whatever I need.  Still there to ask each morning how I slept, how I feel and to listen when I am not having a good energy day.

Yes, 60 days since the transplant.  60 days of working towards more energy and getting back to me.  But I know this will take a lot more time.  I will take one day at a time working towards this.  One day at a time working each and every day to accomplish this.  And I know I will continue to have my good days and my not so good days knowing some days I may look good but I sure don't feel good.

Quote:

The only way to beat cancer is to accept the reality, embrace the pain and find the courage to move forward, one day at a time!!!


3 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you, my beautiful mother! It's been a long 60 days, but you made it! Look at all you've come through! Your strength is amazing, Mom! My dad's strength is amazing!! Wish I could be there (or would have been there) to help! I love you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You got this! What a strong person you are. I am proud of your determination and will to continue on this journey to a better, stronger you. And to Bill for all the love, support and determination to help get you there. Love you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are truly amazing..full of the spunk needed to conquer this thing that starts with a "c".. I truly understand your frustration with the bad days and cheer you on for your good days...which will be coming more and more..in time and patience...I applaud Billso much also for helping you thru all this when many of us wanted to but can't be there... Bill is your rock!!! Continue step by step with the strength that God has given you both, living it so lovingly and wisely!! keep on keeping on..BFF. love you and miss you!

    ReplyDelete