Wednesday, December 20, 2017

"Merry" back in my Christmas.

REMISSION.  REMISSION.  Yes, I finally heard the word I have been waiting for the last 1 1/2 years to hear.  Today was my appointment with Dr. Sarriera.  We discussed my pet scan and how all looked great.  No active Myeloma to be seen.   Then discussed the Myeloma blood results.  Low red blood count, low white blood count and low platelets all due to the chemo treatments.  My vitamin D has increased from 19.1 to 26.  Looking good.  Needs to be in the normal range of 30-40.  My "M" spike (no measurable Myeloma) has stayed at "0" for 12 months.  No monoclonal bands detected (abnormal protein in my blood).  All good.  Then Dr. Sarriera explained the light chain results.

Usually one of the light chains, lambda or kappa (Kristi thinks I am in a college sorority) increases and one of them decreases.  In my case, they are both decreasing.  This makes for a lower than normal light chain ratio.  Makes sense.  Since there is not an increase and a decrease, there isn't any progression of my Myeloma at this time.  All these lab results together, along with the Pet scan is showing NO progression of Myeloma at the present.  We know there is and alway will be some Myeloma there but I am beating it down.

Dr. Sarriera wants me to add two more tests for further results of this great news.  I will have to have a bone marrow biopsy.  This will be done after my cycle 6 treatments.  Also a full skeletal X-ray from head to toe.  That he would like to see with in the next 1 to 2 weeks.  And he wants the Myeloma labs to be repeated every 4 to 5 weeks with a visit to him the following week.

We will continue with my chemo treatments for another 3 months after this cycle (5).  So will do cycle 6, 7 & 8 to complete my treatment.  This should take me till the end of March.  Then I will go on a maintenance plan.  The reason he wants to take it out 8 cycles is because that is what the standard is after a transplant.  Since my Myeloma came back so quickly after the transplant, my schedule for this was all thrown off.  Had to do the radiation first.  Then we had to start over trying to get a treatment that would work for me med wise.  Finally did with the Dex (steroids), Kryprolis (chemo drip) and Cytoxin (chemo pills).  So a few more weeks of chemo tired, Dex insomnia, Dex ups and downs, Dex bursts of tears whenever, chemo drips, chemo pills, labs, driving to the Cancer Center, etc.  We got this!!!  Dr. Sarriera explained once on maintenance, it will just be a lower dose of Dex  (Bill is so happy) and the Kryprolis drip once a week.  Cytoxin will be dropped.

I then asked Dr. Sarriera if I would ever hear the work, REMISSION?  He asked me if I would like to hear it now?  Yes and mean it.  He said well then I can say you are in REMISSION.  Finally, after
1 1/2 years.  I can actually say I am in REMISSION.  Finally, say that word over and over again.  Finally, say that word when I am down from the chemo.  Finally say that word when I feel like it.  Finally say that word when look at Bill and lower some of his stress.  Finally tell everyone, I am in REMISSION when they ask about my cancer.  Finally know I am in REMISSION.  You can lurk in me Myeloma but I got you beaten down to be able to say REMISSION!!!  REMISSION!  I got you beaten down!!!!

Today I went to the doctor about my condition,
And he said, well we can say you are in remission!
This is for Louise, Sandy, Cheri and Deb Noll.  A little blast from the past!!!

Dr. Sarriera once again left with a smile on his face.  And Bill and I as well.  Lots of kisses while we were waiting to be check out with appointments being made.  Lots of smiles between us knowing why.  Michelle and I even celebrated with a trip to Jeremiahs!!!!

Sandy and I were discussing my Christmas of last year.  The beautiful tree Kristi, Sasha and Ellie made me.  The shopping that Kristi and Kerri did for me so my grandkids would have packages under the tree from Didi and Pap.  How I couldn't wait to crawl in bed at 7 and sleep till 8 the next morning.   How "skinny" I was.  No hair!  How walking 2 times around our pool wore me out.  How I only wanted to eat Bob Evans mashed potatoes.  Wow, come a long way to this Christmas.  Sandy said this year I was putting back the "Merry" in my Christmas.  And I believe Dr. Sarriera added to that merry.  And I do believe the One above has answered my prayers, along with many others.  Prayers to be continued.

I would like to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah!!!

Quote:

Most of our lives is easy but when it becomes difficult and cancer strikes, it's just about remembering one thing.  I must and will simply survive.








3 comments:

  1. My Mom, look at her, kicking cancer in the ass! Merry Christmas, Mom! I love you and miss you!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a blessed Christmas gift. Love ya bunches

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas indeed, best present ever. Most importantly a very Happy Healthier New 2018 Year!!! You are smiley amazing! God hears your and our prayers! Hugs to Bill and you! please celebrate the strenght you both have! Remission!!

    ReplyDelete