Wednesday, December 27, 2017

Pink and black.

Just needed to fill in what's been going on the last few days.  Had my happy news and now some down times.

Had my treatments last Tuesday and Wednesday.  Cycle 5, week 1.  Felt good enough on Thursday to go out and do some last minute shopping.  Hobby Lobby, Target and Neighborhood Market (Wal Mart that only sells food).  Friday had my usual tired day but only felt more fatigued.  Saturday much the same.  No energy.  Sunday, Christmas Eve, I felt a bit better.  Was able to go to Kristi and Matt's first annual Christmas Open House.  Just felt tired.  Did lay down a bit there.  Brought the girls home with us.  Christmas Day - no energy.  Had to push myself to get out of bed.  Nauseated, skitters.  Thank goodness Kristi and Bill could keep the day rolling.  Nice meal.  Bill smoked a brisket for about 16 hours.  Kristi and Matt brought over some Mac and cheese and veggie tray.  Gery and Michelle bought delicious lasagna made by Gery.  Marilyn and Andy brought the desserts.  Everyone enjoyed.  I, not so much.  No appetite.

Yesterday, Tuesday 26th,  was start of week 2 of cycle 5.  I explained my systems to my nurse, Miles.   Sinus pressure, no appetite, waking up drenched from head to waist, skitters, no energy,  He contacted Dr. Sarriera's office.  Put me on an antibiotic. Testing needed for cdiff.  Gave me some fluids along with my treatment.  Bilirubin cooperated this time.

Today, Wednesday, 27th,  I just didn't feel right.  No energy, no appetite.  Woke up again drenched from head to waist around 4 AM.  Sheets wet too.  So just laid on some towels and wrapped the quilt and top sheet in towels, changed night clothes and went back to sleep.  Woke up around 8 drenched again.  Changed clothes.  Bill pulled the sheets and quilt and started the laundry.

Got to the Cancer Center around 12.  Was in tears by then. Also, the first time ever since I been going here, had to take a wheel chair.  Lightheaded.  Couldn't stop the tears.  The receptionist saw that I was upset, who couldn't.  Contacted my nurse and was sent to one of the private rooms within about 15 minutes waiting.  And was so happy to see I had Patrice, my favorite oncology nurse on the 5th floor.
She listen to my systems as the tears fell.  She contacted Dr. Sarriera's office.  He and Abby are out until the 6th of January.  BUT Desiree is back.  Thanks Desiree.  Gave me fluids again along with my treatment.  Explained that because of my condition, something compromised my immune system.  That's why the cdiff test.  This came back negative.  Which is great.  Not calling this a stomach bug or the flu.  Just my immune system, sinus infections and a bit of dehydration.   If I spike a fever, I am to call the Cancer Center team immediately.  The chemo is killing off good cells with bad cells.  Thus, red, white and platelets low counts.  Patrice also explained that my good colon bacteria fighters are also being destroyed by my chemo treatment.  Thus, infection easier to grow there.  She stayed with me off and on throughout my visit making sure I was comfortable and was able to calm myself down.  Love my Patrice.

Chemo drip and fluid drip done.  Port removed and left in the wheel chair to the car.  There will be no more wheel chair episodes.   Wanted to stop to see Desiree but I was afraid since I was so emotional today and she just getting back yesterday, we would flood the office with tears.

Bill headed to the grocery store after we got home for Power Ade and Bob Evans mashed potatoes. My great caregiver.  Just couldn't handle all this without him.   I made some chicken noodle soup for us from scratch till he got home.  Laid down then but steroids kept me awake. Just like they are keeping me awake now.  Had some Bob Evans mashed potatoes for dinner.  Tasted pretty good.

So that's been my last few days.  Again, sorry if if missed saying Merry Christmas to anyone.  And thank you for all the beautiful cards.  I am hoping to be on the mend with this sickness soon.  Not liking it.  

Patrice was covered in her yellow insulation coat because she had to put in my port.  And we didn't know about the cdiff test yet.  They are so caution they don't bring germs from one patient to the another whatever it may be.  And these coats protect them.  Well, her coat wasn't tied tightly in the back and I notice she had on pink and black.  Pink top and black pants. Same as me.  We laughed a bit and she told me that she has a routine of what color to wear each day of the week.  Had off Monday and so had been mixed up all week.  Not her normal color to wear on Wednesday.

Quote:

You will never regret being kind.






3 comments:

  1. Love you sister !
    Hang in there..healing vibes your way

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear all this Kathy...praying for your strenght to come back to you...Love and hugs! Xo

    ReplyDelete