Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Closed

Yesterday, November 27th, I started back on my Kyprolis chemo drip.  Regular labs were drawn (CMP and CBC), taken to my room to wait on the numbers.  And I had to have Myeloma labs drawn. Appointment with Dr. Sarriera next week. Lab numbers were good to precede with drip.

It's been over 24 month since my transplant so I was due immunizations.  There seemed to be some confusion on which ones to get.  Of course, I had my print out from Moffitt.  Finally I got an email from Dr. Sarriera's office that I was to only get one.  He will explain next week.  The one I got was called "Pneumococcal Polysaccharide Vaccine".  Yep.  This vaccination protects older adults from pneumococcal disease.  Yep.  Pneumococcal disease is caused by bacteria that can spread from person to person through close contact. It can cause ear infections, pneumonia (lung problems) and meningitis to mention a few.  This vaccine is recommend for all adults over 65.  Anyone with certain longterm health problems. Anyone with a weakened immune system.  Anyone who smokes or has asthma.  This is a vaccine you should discuss with your doctor throughly!  I wish I would have had this earlier.  I got a sinus infection once I returned home.  Caught it early and on antibiotics.  I really feel I got it in the airport or on the plane.  Dumb me for not wearing a mask.

And of course, I had my Dex yesterday.  Typical up till 1 AM and up again at 7.  A little rash today and a little bossy.  Today, November 28th, I received my second dose of Kyprolis.  Tomorrow should be a fairly good day for me.  Then, if all falls as normal, Friday and Saturday morning, I will be wiped out.  We shall see.

My lab draw oncology nurse yesterday was new and didn't want to draw the Myeloma labs.  I had to persuade her this is my protocol about every 4 or 5 weeks.  There wasn't an order in my notes for the labs but that is the norm for these draws.  Call or email Dr. Sarriera's office.  Don't just tell me it is not happening.  Of course, I wasn't rude but stood my ground.  3 gold, 1 purple, 1 green -  tubes to be used in addition to 1 more gold for the CMP and the CBC results.  Yep.  I know this.  Finally she got it.  The Myeloma labs take longer for testing and have to be done in order of all numbers to get back to Dr. Sarriera's for my appointment.  Yep.  I am my own advocate along with Bill.  We got this.

The area where they stick the needles in to access my port seemed to give me some problems this week.  Yesterday when I took the bandage off, I had a lot of fresh blood on the bandage.  We cleaned the area and put a new bandage on it.  Was okay when I checked in a few hours.  Today when the lab draw oncology nurse accessed it again, it hurt.  Said probably because of yesterday.  This area continued to hurt till my room oncology nurse removed it after treatment.  I told her I couldn't wait till she removed the needles.  Didn't bleed much once removed.  Doesn't hurt.

I will not have any chemo treatments next week other that Dex.  Another week off.  Yeah.  Thank you Dr. Sarriera for not having me make up last week.

Six kids using one bathroom can be funny at times.  You better keep the door locked for sure.  Sasha came running in the house to use the bathroom and found the door was shut and locked.  She said in her funny way of saying things "darn, it's closed".   Maybe you had to be there but laugh anyway.  Oh, there is another bathroom by the way they can use.

Quote:

My blog is dedicated to all of those who have lost the cancer fight and to all of us who won't quit the cancer fight.

2 comments:

  1. So thankful I have my own bathroom!! Sasha was hilarious when she said it was “closed!” Lol

    ReplyDelete