Sunday, December 1, 2019

Home

Barbara, so full of life, happy, beautiful.  Some of you already saw my post about Barbara.  I met Barbara at my oncologist's office.  Desiree had given her information about our Myeloma support group meetings and she wanted to meet me before the next meeting.  We talked for a long time once introduced.  This was at the end of May.  She did make it to our meeting in June.  Again, so upbeat and joked about not having any hair yet.  Recently had a transplant.  Barb and I IM'd each other off and on the rest of June and part of July.  I was preparing for my brain surgery and she had been diagnosed with a mass on her brain.  Very aggressive mass.  I feel bad because I lost contact with her as my surgery kept me in the hospital for 26 days.  Once out, I had physical therapy, occupational theory, learning to walk again, dress again, shower again, gain control of my left arm so it wasn't just hanging on and on.  All this with the help of my sister Deb for several weeks.  I have a few voice texts from Barb that I have played a few times.  The smile in her voice makes me happy.  Barbara has passed.  So hard to believe.  She was only diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma last September.  And then this mass appeared.  Will miss her.

I finally emailed Dr. Sarriera and told him I could not take the way the Thalidomide was making me feel.  No energy, foggy head most of the day, tired, just wanted to sleep, neuropathy was getting worse.   No quality of life.  Just wasn't good.  He gave me the option of decreasing the dosage or stop taking the Thalidomide.  I stopped taking the pill on November 26th.  We will discuss where to go from here during my next appointment with him on the 17th of December.  I know stopping the pill has helped some.  It was my decision.  Just couldn't do it any more.  Am to still take the Dex every Friday.  Was this the right decision?  Well, at this time I am saying yes.  Needed some life back.

Then on November 27th, I broke out in hives.  Around my hair line, above my eye brows and across the lower area of the back of my neck.  Not itchy hives, thankful for that.  I used some essential oils for several days.  Seemed to help take the puffiness out of the areas where the hives are.  And then I used some aloe once they started to feel itchy.  This from an aloe plant that I have grown from a piece of Kerri's aloe plant.  The aloe works well for the itchy.  I sent an email to Ana, Dr. Sarriera's nurse, so should hear from her with in a day or so.  Dr. Sarriera has Monday's off.

As most of you know my sister, Deb,  flew down to help Bill and me while I recovered.  Was so great to have the help.  She made it possible to overcome many challenges.  Nearing the time she was getting ready to go back home, Donnie told her to stay as long as she needed to.  Just wanted her to be home by Thanksgiving to make him a Thanksgiving dinner.  And she was.

Quote:

Hope for the fighters, peace for the survivors and prayers for the taken.  Together we are stronger than cancer.










1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your friend Barbara...I did not know this sooner...and your decision to stop that particular med is your decision and a good one, and I support for you, my BFF...a better quality of life can help with your fight, in my opinion, can help you fight harder with awareness! Hope there is another alternative for you, but in the meantime enjoy hopefully no more foggy brain and tiredness!!! Love you, hugs to Bill! Xo

    ReplyDelete