Sunday, December 22, 2019

Australia

So the labs are back.  Not good.  I received a call from Dr. Sarriera on Thursday.  Left message to call him back.  We knew if he called, that wasn't good.  Finally we were able to connect.  He started by saying the labs were back and the light chains are not good.  They are getting higher.  October they were 2.03, November 10.3 and December 20.2   He said he didn't want me to be with out some sort of treatment seeing this.

I will be taking a chemo pill called Selinexor (Xpovio) on day 1 and 3 along with Dex each week.  No week off.  So day 1 could be Monday and day 3 would be Wednesday or day 1 Tuesday and day 3 would be Thursday.  I will be taking 80 mg of the Selinexor and 10 mg of the Dex on each of those days. .  Not sure when I will be starting as we are waiting on my insurance company to approve.

This pill has been FDA approved in July of this year (2019).  There were several clinical trials prior to the approval.  So a fairly new drug for Myeloma patients who have relapsed after several treatment plans not working.   That would be me.

As with most drugs, there are side effects.  Deficiency of platelets, neutropenia, nausea, GI problems, fatigue, infections etc, etc.  We will just have to see what, if any, will be my side effects.  Of course, we know the Dex will cause a mild rash, not letting me sleep, making me sleep, crying for no reason. And I will be taking this twice a week instead of once.  Poor Bill.

Again, none of this will be started until I get the prescription of the Selinexor.   The pharmacy at the Cancer Center has been wonderful.  They have mailed my last few prescriptions directly to me since we weren't coming in to the Cancer Center.  They will call me once this one is ready.

I know you all are saying to me, this is the one that's going to work.  I appreciate it but sometimes, I would rather not hear that.  But say it as you want because I hope and pray you are all right.

I ask Kristi for a few suggestions for the girls for Christmas.  She gave me one for Ellie for a sweatshirt.  I ordered it right away because of the possibility it may sell out.  Didn't really pay attention to where it would be shipped from just when it would be shipped.  Got an email saying it was being processed for shipping.  Then read it would be shipping from Australia.  Oh.  It's not going to not be here for Christmas.  :)  Will print a picture of a kangaroo and put in a box and wrap it.

Heard from our friends Joanie and Harry.  Harry has been in the hospital (John Hopkins) for 11 days.  Not sure what is wrong.  Started out as shingles.  Has been through a lot the last 11 days.  Please say few prayers for him and for Joanie as the care giver.  

Quote:

Cancer doesn't define you; strength and courage does.






1 comment:

  1. This is tough news. But modern medicine is wonderful and there is hope! Keep enjoying each day as fully as you can, and I'll keep praying for you and your family. I know you don't always feel it, but I admire your strength and positivity!

    ReplyDelete