Monday, February 6, 2017

Olemons!

Today we went to Tampa for my almost 3 month check up with my transplant doctor, Dr. Ochao.  I have dreaded this appointment because I was afraid there would be something that would cause me to be put back in the hospital or have to stay in that hotel over night because needed some other test tomorrow or the next day.  Talk about anxiety.  Well, neither of those two things happened.  In fact, I will not need to go back to Tampa for a long, long time.  One exception, which I will cover later.  Labs were drawn (5 tubes) around 11:30.  Then we went to lunch because my appointment with Dr. Ochao wasn't until 1.  After lunch, we went to the beauty shop for me to try on a wig.  Not ready for that yet.  Didn't like the colors or the style either.

Then from there we went back to the 4th floor to the MBT Clinic for my appt with Dr. Ochao.  While waiting, there were a few people talking about their transplants.  One lady was just a week out.  The other lady said her husband was 9 1/2 years out.  He was told his cancer, at the time of the transplant, would probably be back within 3 years.  His cancer is Multiple Myeloma.  Then another gentlemen spoke up saying he was also 9 1/2 years out.  Was told 3 years also.  His cancer is also Multiple Myeloma!!!  Was wonderful hearing these two stories.  I would have talked to the one gentleman but was called back for my appointment.  And what a great appointment it was.  First they took me to get my first two vaccinations.  Flu and Pneumococcal Conjugate (pneumonia, bacteremia, meningitis).

Dr. Ochao was happy to see how different I looked since the last time he saw me.  He said at that time he remembers that I wasn't eating or drinking much.  That I needed to go home and do our own cooking.  Told him, best choice he ever made.  My labs all look incredible.  3 months ago, my lab report showed just about all the blood tests out of range.  Today's reports showed 3 blood tests out of about 50, somewhat out of range. Awesome!!  My IGE test, the one Dr. Ochoa likes to use to measure my Myeloma, prior to my transplant was 50,000 plus, which was off the charts.  Prior to leaving the hotel to come home, was 9800.  This, too, is a significant improvement.  Today's IGE test results will not be available for 2 more days.  We discussed if Kristi and Kerri should be tested for Multiple Myeloma.  Reason being that IGE is related to allergies such as asthma, which both our girls have.  Answer was a big NO.  Multiple Myeloma, which we knew, is not hereditary but was concerned because of the IGE and its relationship to allergies.  Dr. Ochao was pleased with my activity level so far, walking, some housework, cooking.  I talked to him about my energy level being up and down and this is to be expected for a bit yet.  I talked to him about my days of being down, weepy.  And about never being able to say - I HAD cancer and always having to say - I HAVE cancer.  He truly understood.  His comment back was it's like sleeping with a snake under your pillow.  We then discussed my vaccinations that I will need over the next 5 years!!  He is comfortable with these vaccinations being administered by Dr. Sarriera's office or my family doctor.  No need to drive to Tampa unless, the one exception I mentioned earlier, there is a vaccine not available for a shot I need.
Discussed the minute holes in my scalp and various other bones caused by the Myeloma that will not go any deeper.  He is releasing my care to Dr. Sarriera and I will not have to go back to see him again unless there are signs in my labs or my chemistry make up or I have abnormal bone pain.  And I hope and pray that will be a long time, if ever, from now.  So I am pretty much done with Tampa.  Nothing against you Tampa but I am pretty happy about that as my time spent in Tampa was the worse time of my life. I have put a lot of it out of my mind and can't remember things that happen that Bill will talk about!  And I normally have a good memory.

I have an appointment with Dr. Sarriera next Tuesday.  He wanted to see me shortly after my Tampa appointment.  Guess we will be discussing my maintenance program as we move onward.  Now we need this neuropathy to go away.

Olemons - I was having a not so good day that other day and I sent my grocery list to Bill.  He didn't get any "O le mons" because he wasn't sure what they were.  Lemons!  Guess my finger added an extra letter.  Was good for a laugh for a few days.

Quote:

Remember how far you've come, not just how far you have to go.  You may not be where you want to be, but neither are you where you used to be!




10 comments:

  1. So happy for you. Great news. Love ya bunches!😘

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!!! Keep up the positive attitude.. and remember..you have my support and positive energy being sent to you everyday !!! Don't let that "c" word enter your space...!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is great Aunt Kathy.����

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful news!! Sending lots of positive vibes & cyber hugs!! Love ya 2nd mama!

    ReplyDelete