Monday, April 9, 2018

That cancer thing.

Tonight was our Myeloma IMF (International Myeloma Foundation) support group meeting.  I have said this several times but here it comes again - I love this group and go away feeling so happy to be a part of it.  The once a month elated feeling.  The once a month knowing other people feel the same way.  The once a month sharing my story once again.  The once a month listening to others stories even though we have heard them last month, the month before that and the month before that.

Ken, the founder of this group called me last week and asked if I could bring some table decorations. It would be Arlene's birthday and he wanted to surprise her with a cake, balloons, banners, flowers.  Arlene has been with Ken growing this group for 9 years.  Ken started it 10 years ago.  Arlene is an oncologist nurse at the Florida Hospital.   And she was surprised.

Also tonight was the last night for another member.  Bill, also has been supporting the group for almost 9 years is leaving.  His wife died 10 years ago from Myeloma and he sought out the group to help with his grieving of her.  And to share her positive attitude during her journey with Myeloma.  He has recently remarried, sold his home and they are moving to the villages.  There are two Myeloma support groups in the area where he is moving.

And then we have Cynthia who was featured in a magazine (sorry, forget the name) for some paintings she did.  She won first prize and will be entering a national competition.   Go Cynthia.

Our speaker tonight was a counseling therapist.  Wendy, specializes in marriage and family counseling.  Tonight she talked about creating a personal wellbeing when living with cancer.  I felt that some of her speech was directed right to me.  I am sure others were feeling the same as I watch the heads nodding, the look on their faces, the word "yes" being said ever so quietly.  Things like - write out your feelings, thoughts, experiences (like I am doing now and have been doing for over a year and more), talk to supportive family and friends who have a space for you and will listen, share your journey with others, help others through their journey.  Then there were things she said that were directed to me (and others) that I need to work on.  Things like forgive yourself and others, speak up and say a very clear NO or YES, release places, people, experiences that drain your energy.  She hit a nerve here and there and not necessarily always a bad one.  Good speaker.

Time to go around and tell our stories.  We had a new member tonight.  Del was his name.  He is really afraid of this disease.  His questions where flying here and there.  His biggest question was should he have a transplant.  Someone answered it quite well.  It depends on your age, health and if your treatments are working to get you to that point.  Each of us has a different level of Myeloma so each of our transplant experiences will be different.  Felt really bad for him.  When it was my turn, I told my story.  Then when I went to introduce Bill, I got very emotional for some reason and almost cried when I said he was the best ever caregiver.  Bill actually took it away from me (thanks) by saying one of his funnies.  Something about me on Dex.  

We had a chance to ask questions or just general comments to our speaker.  Ken, our leader, said that he has several siblings that alway use the word sick when talking about his cancer.  He despises that word and asked them not to say he is sick.  Wendy asked him what he preferred them to say.  He said he asked them to say "that cancer thing"!  It did bring a few chuckles even though he was serious.

Quote:

Cancer is a powerful teacher.


1 comment:

  1. Love reading this today! It made me feel as though I was in the meteting with you..as far as hitting nerves..touched mine for sure about saying a very clear YES or NO!!! I don't refer to cancer as being sick , I just don't even give "it" a name! I give or refer a name to the people effected by it such as beautiful and courageous!! Love you xoxox

    ReplyDelete