Monday, April 10, 2017

She has hair!

So the rash continues but very mildly.  Only taking the Revlimid every other day.  Not sure what
Dr. Sarriera will want me to do.  I have an appointment with him on Thursday.  So we will see.  Also, will do the Multiple Myeloma lab draw to see what my counts are now.  Funny, but I do not have to fast for any of these blood tests.

We went to our Myeloma support group meeting tonight.  Have not been since last September.  Good to see some of the people that were there back when we were going.  There were a lot of new people also.  Just want to write about a few.  Helps me remember.

Ken - he is the founder of this group in this area.  Been 12 years since he was diagnosed.  10 years ago he had a transplant.  Revlimid is his maintenance drug.

Ben - very young guy.  Was diagnosed in June of last year.  Has been on a program of Revlimid, Velcade and steriods since.  He does not have any active Myeloma cancer cells in his bone marrow at this time.  He knows that it's just a matter of time till they reappear.  No plans at this time for a transplant.

Gene - probably my age.  I forget when he was diagnosed.  He is going through testing for his transplant.  Had some labs that do not look good so not sure when he can get his transplant.

Kathie - first time to the meeting.  Diagnosed early 2013 - transplant late 2013.  This lady was an pediatric oncology nurse.  Dealt with children with cancer.  Said never did she ever think she would end up with cancer.

Everyone got a chance to tell their story and everyone listens even though some of them we had already heard at other meetings.  Everyone who has had a transplant, relives their transplant while someone tells about their transplant.  Everyone who is taking Revlimid or Velcade or Zometa shakes their head as someone says they are taking Revlimid or Velcade or Zometa.  Everyone who has had a bone marrow biopsy relives the pain they had as someone describes their pain.  Multiple Myeloma has struck us and we are there supporting each other with a smile, pat on the back, a nod, a story!  A great group that I am glad to be a part of.

Last person I want to talk about is Cynthia.

Cynthia - transplant in December.  Can't remember any other of her details because all I could do was stare at how much hair she had for just having a transplant in December.  All I could think was - she has hair, how can she have so much hair when she just had a transplant in December - maybe she never lost it - maybe if I wouldn't have had mine shaved!!!  My mind just focused on her hair and not her other details.  Finally Bill said something about me worrying as to why she has hair and her transplant was so recent.  He heard what she really said.  It was December of 2015 not 2016.  Duh me!!!

Quote:

Be strong as you never know who you are inspiring.  Beautiful people do not just happen.

1 comment: