Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Amber

Cycle 6, week 1, day 1 was to be today after being off, except Dex, since January 3rd.  BUT!!!

I was so happy to be able to walk to the elevator instead of Bill pushing me in a wheel chair like the last two visits.  Feeling about 95% better.  Antibiotics finished.  Only using the inhaler occasionally.  Still using my Vicks every night.  :)  Bill is also feeling better.  He caught his bronchitis early and family doctor put him on antibiotics right away.  BUT!!!

I had an appointment with our family doctor on January 4th.  She was concerned with my breathing. Did a breathing treatment (like using an inhaler but meds are put in an electric machine and you breath those meds for about 20 minutes without taking a wand out of your mouth) and put me on the same antibiotic that Bill was on.  The antibiotic, Vicks, Delsym, inhaler were my daily and nightly routine for days.  Michelle and Gery found a cool mist vaporizer for me which I ran every night.  There was not much of an energy level or an appetite for days.  Not fun!  Temperature would fluctuate up and down.  Highest was 103.  BUT!!!

I finally got my Dexoscan on Friday, Jan 12.  Waiting on results from that scan.  This scan is to monitor my over all bone health.  Dr. Sarriera wants to compare results to last year's scan.  BUT!!!

So the BUT!!!  Again, I was to start Cycle 6, week 1, day 1 today, Jan 16th.  Appointment was at 12:30.  Port was accessed with the two lines inserted.  Lines are checked to make sure blood can be withdrawn and check to see that blood can be returned, making sure the port is functioning normally.  Labs are then drawn.  Normal labs today and Myeloma labs added for my appointment with Dr. Sarriera on the 24th.

Back to my room with Angie, my oncology nurse.  Not sure I had her before.  Questions, warm blanket and settled down to wait for labs.  Angie seemed to be concerned with my white blood cell count.  White blood cells are the first line of defense against infections and diseases.  This count should be 4.0 and up for a normal count.  Dr. Sarriera has set my minimum at 1.0 to be able to take my chemo drip and pills.  Today my count was .9 and he decided no chemo today or tomorrow, WBC too low.  Have I told you how much I love Dr. Sarriera, Abby and Desiree.  Chemo will be resumed next Tuesday depending on my lab results.  Bilirubin was 1.6 today.   The two chemo days I missed this week will be added on or just not done this cycle.  Won't know that until later.  That's the BUT!!!

The cause of the low WBC is usually chemotherapy.  But along with this, mine could be because of my antibiotics and being sick for as long as I was. Immune system was so down.  It's still weak so I have to be careful not be around anyone who is sick, stay away from public places, wear a mask when necessary, wash my hands constantly.  This week away from chemo and hibernating at home will only be a help to better labs next week.

We did get to see Desiree today.  Made me have tears in my eyes.  She looks good.  Said the twins were sick.  Ugh.

We had a visitor last Thursday from PA and one who even lived on Garman Drive right next door to us.  A visitor that was only about 6 month old when her parents moved beside us!  Amber, who now is XX years old.  Amber had a field hockey convention/recruiting session only 10 miles from us.  She made the time and effort to come visit.  Kristi and girls came over to visit a bit too.  What a great night of reminiscing, laughing, sharing, caring.  What a wonderful time.  Nancy and Frank, you raised a beautiful woman.  Amber and I decided if this convention happens again this close to us, Nancy is coming along and spending a few days with me!!!  So pack your suitcase Nance!!!

Quote:

We must embrace the pain of changes to our journey along the way; then use that pain as fuel to further our journey.







3 comments:

  1. BUT!!! My momma is kissing cancer’s ass and there’s no turning back! Love and miss you! Wish I was there! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kissing it good bye while kicking it out the door lol

    ReplyDelete