Tuesday, May 8, 2018

Boy oh boy!

Got to the hospital (ORMC) around 7:30 on Thursday the 3rd for my biopsy.   Got checked in and was sent to the waiting room.  Wasn't in there very long and a nurse came and got me.  Told Bill to wait and once they prepped me, they would bring him back to the "surgery" holding area.  Was given a gown to put on, hooked up to a blood pressure machine, all vitals taken, then a nurse came in to access my port.  Talked to a PA that assists my surgeon (Dr. Sagar) regarding things that could happen but don't usually during surgery.  Finally Bill was able to come back with me.  That was a good thing because they explained to me that I would be in a Cat Scan machine during the procedure.  Anxiety hit big time.  Bill asked if they could give me something to take the edge off which they did. My scheduled surgery was for 10 AM.  Still was waiting at 10:45 and anxiety med was wearing off.  Bill left to get a sandwich as we missed breakfast.  Finally the nurse that was to also assist Dr. Sagar came and said it was time to go.  It was almost 11.

I rolled off one bed onto another bed that was attached to the CT machine.  Please knock me out!  Since the area to be biopsied was on my back, I had to lay on my stomach with my arms in the Superman position.  Nurse told me the procedure would be done while the CT machine was taking pictures of the area.  In other words, live.  Dr. Sagar would be making an incision with a needle and cutting three pieces of the mass area.  Needed to be somewhat awake in case he needed me to move.  I am here to say that I felt each snip.  First two hurt but the last one made me scream.  Then I don't remember anything until I woke up in the recovery room.

The pain was horrible.  Need something for pain please.  And could Bill come back.  Couldn't give me too much because they needed to see if the pain was caused by my breathing.  Since the area that needed biopsied was near the lungs, there was a possibility (but not likely) he could accidentally snip the lung.  Thus, collapsed lung.  Once they established this was not the cause of my pain, they administered some additional pain meds.  Yippee.  Bill was able to come back then.  Got something to drink and crackers to eat.  They read my home instructions, got dressed, called for my Uber driver (wheelchair) and sent me home.  Once home, I slept the rest of the afternoon.

Dr. Sarriera made an appointment to see me May 15th unless he had the results back sooner.  Well, today I got an email from Desiree that Dr. Sarriera wants to see us this Friday, May 11th.  Not feeling so good about this.  He will usually tell me via email if things look good.  Bill and I figure that he wants to get started on another treatment plan.  A stronger treatment plan.  I hope we are wrong but, oh well, won't say anymore.

Cheri, Matt, Connie and Madeleine came on Friday for a 5 day visit.  I was so excited to meet my great niece Madeleine.  She is now 16 month old.  What a cutie.  And, of course, very smart.  One thing that came to my mind was how my step mother, Peg, would get my girls or my sister's kids to eat.  When they would take a bite of food, she would shake her head and said, "Boy oh boy that's  good"!  Well, till they left today, I had Madeleine doing that with me.  Matt actually said he remembered that.  And I also used to do that with my grandkids.  Memories.  Miss them so much already.

Quote:

The experienced mountain climber is not intimidated by a mountain, he is inspired by it.



1 comment:

  1. I remember you doing that with your grandkids :)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete