Sunday, May 13, 2018

Floor 8.

Friday the 11th was my appointment with Dr. Sarriera to hear my results from my biopsy.  Bill and I already knew what we were about to hear especially since he rescheduled my appointment from the 15th to the 11th.  I was called back to his office even before I was finished signing in.  Nurse did all my vitals, asked a few questions and left saying Dr Sarriera will be with us soon.

We waited about 15 minutes (a long 15 minutes) till he finally walked in to the room.  Greeted us with a hand shake.  Did a quick exam on me, eyes, mouth, breathing etc.  Then he proceeded to explain the results of the biopsy.  The biopsy was taken from left paraspinal mass of the thoracic spine at T9-10 level.  In our words, tissue was taken from a mass found left of my thoracic spine.  The results - Myeloma.  Just as we expected.

Dr. Sarriera mentioned the different combination of drugs that we could try.  Once again, several of the combinations included either Revimid, Pomalist and Velcade.  First two I am allergic to and the last one caused my neuropathy.  Then he mentioned Daratumumab (Darzalex) along with Kyprolis and Dex (my steroids - poor Bill).  This treatment plan has two drugs I have taken (Dex) or I am taking now (Kyprolis). So this is the treatment plan we all agreed upon.  Here is how it goes:

My first treatment of the Darzalex (this is a drip) will start on May 22.  I will be hospitalized for this one to monitor me for any side effects. Hives, rash, itching, difficultly breathing, slow uneven heart beat, dizziness, nausea, bone pain to name a few.  This procedure will take about 8 hours.  I then have this Darzalex infusion every Tuesday (day 1) for 8 weeks and then every other week for however long.  This will take approximately 3 to 4 hours.  Along with the Darzalex, I will still receive my Kyrpolis infusion.  This drip will now be given on 2 days instead of one.  Day 1 and day 2 and Dex will be taken one of those days.  The Kyprolis and the Dex will be taken for 3 weeks on and one week off.

We talked about clinical trails and a second opinion.  My Cancer Center here only has one trail right now and I don't qualify.  I have an appointment for June 18th at Moffitt in Tampa.  I will be seeing Dr. Ocoha, my transplant doctor for a second opinion.

I will see Dr. Sarriera in four weeks after the new treatment plan has started.  He will schedule another Pet Scan in 4 months.  Hug for me as the tears flowed saying we will get this.

So there we have it.  Another relapse.  Another area infected with Myeloma.  Another treatment plan.  Another day added to my infusion schedule.  Another months of worries.  Another Pet Scan.  Another reason to cry.  Another reason to pray.

Bill and I have been on the first 5 floors in my Cancer Center with the exception of the 3rd floor.  There isn't a 3rd floor.  We now will be adding another one.  Floor 8.  This is where I will be hospitalized for the Darzalex infusion my first time.

Quote:

Once cancer happens, it changes the way you live the rest of your life.



5 comments:

  1. It's hard to know what to say. But know this. You are reaching out and touching others through your blog and through this fight. You are and remain in our thoughts and our prayers. We serve a great God. We don't know why, but He does and He is there giving you all the strength. You need. I found myself in tears as I read your blog. You are an amazing women and you have been through more than your share of trouble. God doesn't tell us that we will never go through a trial. What He does say though is that He will be there and I know He is. I know you know He is. YOU FIGHT GIRL!!! God's got this, and so do you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many hugs coming your way Aunt Kathy.

    ReplyDelete