Tuesday, May 29, 2018

No IV.

Today was my 2nd day for Darzalex.  It wasn't a 15 hour day!  But it was a ten hour day.  8:30 till after 6:30.   Got to the Cancer Center around 8:15.  Took me to the draw station.  They access my port and drew labs.  Normal ones I get weekly and a Myeloma panel for my appointment with
Dr. Sarriera next week.  Once done, retrieved Bill from the waiting room and went to Pod 1.  My nurse today was Kerrie.  I have had her before but was just on one my shorter days.  Those days we thought were not going to end but were done in 2, 3 4 or 5 hours.  Kerrie had me and other patients to take care of.  They were trying to get 5 days of infusions done in 4 days.  Over 100 patients just today.

Waited on labs and my platelets were pretty low.  All other labs good except my Bilirubin.  We know way that is so.  Since my platelets (a component of blood that is to react to bleeding by clumping/clotting) we're low, Kerrie had to notify Dr. Sarriera to see if he wanted me to continue on with the treatment.  In the meantime, I took my 40 mg of Dex (steroids).  Dr. Sarriera gave the go ahead to continue on with treatment.  Premeds were given.  Tylenol and Benadryl orally.  20 more mg of Dex via a 10 minute drip.  Once that was done, Kerrie started the 15 minute bag of Kyprolis.  All ready now for the Darzalex.  Started the bag at 25 ml around 11.  No reactions.  After an hour, up it to
50 ml.  No reactions.  Then to 100 for another hour.  No reactions.  150 for an hour.  No reactions.  Then to 200 till the bag was empty.  No reactions.  Finally finished around 6:37.  I slept through a lot of the hour timings because of the Benadryl.  Kerrie had to take my vitals on the hour so that always woke me up.  Flush of my port.  Heparin and saline.  Removed the lines.  Out of there a bit before 7.  Kerrie was another caring oncology nurse.  Very concerned for me and the other patients she had throughout the day.  Greeted each of them with an endearment making them feel welcome.  Bill and I watched several come and go.

Now I am hoping there will be no side effects caused by the infusion of the Darzalex.  I know the Dex will cause a rash on my face and chest, mainly on the left side.  Also, the Dex with cause insomnia.  And I know the Kyprolis and the Darzalex with cause fatigue.  These things are symptoms that I can deal with even though I hate them.  No more please!

There are rocker type chairs in the pods for the caregivers.  Bill because of his arthritis in his back can only set in them for so long.  He got up and took walks several times.  Finally, after I was the only patient Kerrie had left, Bill asked if he could sit in one of the lounger chairs I use.  Of course he could.  He did tell her that he didn't want an IV of anything.  Long day for Bill but he is always there for me watching that things are going as they should be.  Questioning things if necessary.  Kerrie remarked that she thought that was a great thing.  Concern.  Couldn't handle this journey without him!

Quote:

It's not about bravery, it is what I need to do to win this battle over cancer.







2 comments: