Thursday, March 23, 2017

Thomas!

Today I had my Zometa drip and an appt with Abbey.  What a long afternoon.  Appt for the Zometa was at 11.  Didn't take me back to get started until 11:15.  The nurse, her name is Mary, informed me that I had to have labs to see what my creatinine (chemical made by the body that is used to supply energy to mainly muscles) level was before the pharmacist would allow the drip.  And also, he could determine the strength of the dosage.  She said that would take about 45 minutes to get the results back.  Wait, I have an appt with Abbey at 11:45.  Mary said she would put the port in my arm, draw blood needed, secure the port to be used for the drip and then I could go to my appt with Abbey and come back to her.  Okay, we can do that.  Well poor Mary couldn't get a vein to draw blood from.  Stuck me once and tried.  Nothing.  Went and got a smaller needle.  Stuck me a second time in a different vein.  Nothing.  Pulled the needle out and said she was going to get someone else to try.  Another nurse came over and she was able to get a vein that looked good but it was on the upper part of the right wrist.  Ouch.  That one hurt but it worked. Good thing I don't hate needles, huh?  Drew a tube of blood but said it was fuzzy (huh?).  So drew a second tube.  Secured my port and sent me on my way for my appt with Abbey.  Checked in there and they took me right back since it was about 3 minutes till my appt time.  Checked vitals.  All good.  Weigh up more.  Abbey was very prompt.  We discussed the "no rash" so far with the Revlimid.  Started the every other day yesterday for 3 times.  Then start the every day Revlimid on Wednesday.  Have an appt again with Dr. Sarriera next Friday to see if any rashes appeared.  Then we will go from there to increase to 5 mg from 2.5 if no rash.  Back to the "drip" room.  Mary said the lab results were still not there.  Got situated in a room and waited.  About 20 minutes later she said lab results were back and the pharmacist would review them and determine if okay to have the Zometa and the dosage.  Another 15 minutes later, he called Mary and said creatinine was low but not by much and to go ahead with the drip.  Finally hooked me up.  Done in 30 minutes.  Hungry by then.  Very light breakfast before we left.

Michelle had told us about a burger place that was to have excellent burgers so we thought we would try it.  And it was on the way home.  Square 1 Burgers.  The decor was chandeliers, red and black walls, chairs, tables, plates and cow hide seats in their booths along with burlap curtains.  Really put together well. And the burgers were fantastic.  Bill got one called Juicy Lucy and I got one call SOB.  My brother-in-law, Donnie, said the SOB meant - Sit On Bill or Side Order Broccoli!!!  Really means South of the Border; a wonderful Mexican burger complete with black beans, jalapeños, pepper jack cheese, corn salsa, avocado and Fritos.  Needless to say, we didn't want or need dinner tonight.  We will definitely go back there again.

We have made a lot of friends since going to the Cancer Center here in Orlando.  One of them is Thomas.  He is one of the valet guys who takes our car when we arrive and brings it back when we are ready to leave.  He always has a nice smile on his face, kind words to say and is always ready to open the car doors for us.  He gave me a hug when we told him we wouldn't be back for a few months and was there to give me a hug when we came back again.  Great person.  The valet parking is a service that is free to cancer patients as long as we get our ticket stub stamped.  We, of course, tip these guys since the valet parking is free.

Quote:

Surround yourself with people who are going to lift you higher!




No comments:

Post a Comment