Thursday, June 22, 2017

No 3rd floor!

Today was the appointment with Dr. Sarriera to discuss my results from my x-ray, Pet Scan, MRI and bone marrow biopsy.  And what wonderful news it was.  News that Bill and I have been very anxious about over the last two weeks.  NONE of my tests showed any Myeloma anywhere else in my body or bone marrow other than my head (which we knew).  Thank you Lord for hearing our prayers.

Dr. Sarriera showed us, and explained, the info on the different tests.  Also showed us the Pet Scan of my skull and where the cancer is located.  We told him we could see some of the information in my health portal but really didn't understand what it was saying.  Also, Bill said the last two weeks have been awful for us not knowing.  Dr. Sarriera told us that we should have called.  They would have explained each test to us.  Never feel that we have to wait again.  You know me, I don't like to bother anyone.  Not a viable excuse.  Just call.

My case was brought before the review board of several doctors (and Abby).  Three of the doctors were mine.  Dr. Sarriera, Dr. Nair and Dr. Nanda.  They all agreed that radiation would be the way to go.  Dr. Sarriera said several times during my appointment today that radiation works well for plasmacytoma, the type of Myeloma I now have.  We asked him have often he sees Myeloma come back this quickly after treatments.  His answer was very rarely.  Usually they see it in maybe 3 to 4 years.  He said that with the chemo treatments I had before the transplant and the high dose chemo treatment of Melphalan right before they gave me back my stem cells, usually prevent most from a reoccurrence so soon.  Bill and I say that maybe it happened so soon because we are to get over this hump and back to normal; whatever normal is.

My original crater as I call it, is now sinking deeper in my head.  This started happening after my surgery to remove the lump for a biopsy.  It's normal feeling in the morning but as the day goes on, it sinks deeper in my head.  Dr. Sarriera said he feels this was caused by the surgery or the cancer could be eating away underneath the original crater.  Again, he expressed his feelings about radiation curing all this.  I, then, asked how will we know if the radiation worked??  Well, guess what!!  I will have to have another Pet Scan in about 3 months.  Oh boy!!  Bill has 3 months of me stressing over that.  ;)

I go back to Dr. Sarriera in six weeks.  He wants to give me some recovery time from the radiation first.  Then we will discuss another chemo treatment for my maintenance program. This drug is called Pomalidomide (generic name for Pomalyst).  He said this is a sister to Revlimid.  Made by same company.  To be continue on this visit.

Tomorrow I have an appointment with Dr. Nanda to discuss the details of the radiation since that is the way we are proceeding.  One thing that I know for sure is I will have to have my right side of my head shaved for the radiation.  And my hair was growing in so nice.  It's probably an inch and a half long now.  Depending on how much he tells me I have to have shaved as to whether I will just shave the whole head again or not.  Have thought about this but haven't really discussed it with Bill.  I remember Dr. Nanda saying I will lose my hair again if I have radiation but don't remember if he said just the right side or the whole head.  Will discuss that with him tomorrow.

After my appointment with Dr. Sarriera, I was scheduled to get 5 more immunizations.  That appointment was for 11:15.  Never got done with these until after 1.  The pharmacy had to make up the syringes.  The nurse told me they were really busy.  Anyway, once I went back to the area where the shots were given, she had to open each bag containing the syringe, scan it, scan my name and log information in to the computer.  Then wash her hands,  put on gloves and give me the shot.  Off came the gloves, open the next bag, scan it, scan my name, log info in to the computer, wash her hands, gloves on, and give me the shot.  This she did for all five shots.  Put one in my stomach, two in my arm and two in the hip area.  My arm is very sore.  Very sore!!  Since some of these are my "baby" shots, Kerri said - no wonder babies are cranky!!!  And Kristi ask if I took a Tylenol before I left.
I received the Polio vaccine, DPT (Diptheria/Tetanus/Pertussis), Hepatitis B, Pncumococal vaccine and the Haemophilus Influenza Type B vaccine.  These are all give in very low strengths as my immune system is still not completely back to normal.  I will receive all 5 of these again in 6 months.

Finally finished.  Bill and I stopped at a new restaurant in our area called Culvers.  Pretty good.  Will go back there again.

So we were getting on the elevator at the Cancer Center along with two other persons.  Bill asked them what floor they were going to.  One said 2 and the other said 3.  Bill pressed the 2 and started to press the 3 but it wasn't there.  The guy comes over looks too and starts counting across the buttons.  No number 3.  So we all got off the 2nd floor.  We have been coming to this Cancer Center for almost a year now and never noticed there wasn't a 3rd floor.  A nurse got on as we were getting off the elevator and heard us laughing and joking about no 3rd floor.   She explained that it had something to do with the building being attached to the hospital and the way things are lined up when they were building it etc.  Bill and I listened to her and thank her for the information while the other two guys just walked away.  😀

Quote:

Let your faith be bigger than your fear.


3 comments:

  1. Thank you Jesus!!!!! You are an inspiration Kathy, what an amazing attitude you have. We will keep the prayers coming!! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete