Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Strong lady!

Our support group meeting was Monday night.  We had a covered dish with chicken being provided by Ken (the founder) and Arlene (an oncology nurse at Florida Hospital).  Started off later than usual so we had our speaker give his presentation first.  His topic was on transplant verses RVD (Revlimid, Velcade and Dex).  Seems the numbers are pretty well matched.  Transplant tops the curve though.  Still the way to go for longevity.  Still wonder where my longevity went??

As usual, we went around the room after we had our picnic as Ken called it and told our stories.  As I have said before, several of them we have heard before but we all listen like it was the first time we heard it.  This group is a very caring group and is interested in the others' stories.  We had a few new Myeloma guests.  There were several who had a very hard telling their stories without crying.  One lady was very healthy, no problems, just got back from an Alaskan cruise and a trip of hiking somewhere in the mountains.  Started with her knees swelling and long story short, was diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma.  Has been challenged with it for several years now.  Another lady, Candi, just got out of a years stay in the hospital.  She had two broken legs and a broken neck.  These breaks caused by the weakness of her bones from Myeloma.  Another gentleman that was an entrepreneur, traveled, young, now said he works part time and that is taking naps because he is so fatigued from his meds.  Another guy that on top of his Myeloma, has just been diagnosed with prostate cancer.  One older lady that has been in remission 2 times.  This time 2 years.  Some on maintenance chemo drugs, some not.  But one thing I can say, they all are there because they feel this group lets them be themselves.  Lets them feel sorry for themselves, lets them sing praises of themselves, lets them cry if they need to.  Lets them praise their wonderful caregivers.  I am so glad to be a part of this group and it sure boosts my attitude if only for a few hours.

When it came my turn to tell my story, I told about the diagnosis last July, the failed treatments, my transplant and now my Myeloma returning on my scalp.  Told about the tests to be completed before we decided on a plan of radiation or chemo.  Told about my fears of the MRI and the Pet Scan tests to be completed.  Told them I was damn scared!!  After I was done talking, one of the guys there ask if he could say something.  This guy, Ben, I have blogged about before.  Young, three kids 10, 12 and 15, diagnosed last July too.  He has chosen not to have a transplant at this time.  Just doing the RVD maintenance for now.  His comment to me was "I have to say that you are one strong lady.  I have watched you and admired you for your courage from the very first meeting.  I have told my wife several times that you are very strong no matter what and you have been an inspiration to me!"  Wow, this was wonderful to hear and it was all I could do to keep from crying.  Thank you Ben.  I so appreciate your kinds words.

So I have had my X-ray last week, yesterday my bone marrow biopsy (from my left hip making it hard to sit) and today my PetScan.  Made it through that one.  Now the MRI is on Monday.  Will have all the results, positive results we pray, when I see Dr. Sarriera next Thursday.  Will know then which way we will proceed, chemo or radiation.

Quote:

You are not your illness.  You have an individual story to tell.  You have a name, a history, a personality.  Staying yourself is part of the battle.




No comments:

Post a Comment