Wednesday, June 28, 2017

The beginning.

One year ago today Bill and I first heard the words Multiple Myeloma.  One year ago today our family physician called us to come into his office immediately.  Seemed some x-rays of my head had been miraculously found.  X-rays that were marked STAT.  One year ago today that family physician told us I had Multiple Myeloma, a blood cancer.  One year ago today that family physician told us to go home and get my affairs in order and don't be afraid to call Hospice.  One year ago today we called Kerri and Paul and told them that I didn't have a long time to live.  One year ago today Bill and I walked into Kristi and Matt's house in disbelief.

One year ago tomorrow, the 29th, we met my oncologist Dr. Sarriera, Abby and Desiree.  Dr. Sarriera and Abby explained what they saw on the X-ray that pointed to Multiple Myeloma.  Explained what tests would be done to confirm if it was Multiple Myeloma.  These tests all came back abnormal.  It is Multiple Myeloma.  Thus, the beginning.

So much has happened this last year.  I must have had 200 or more tubes of blood drawn, x-rays, MRI's, Pet Scans, bone marrow biopsies, chemo injections, chemo meds, steroids, drips to help my bones, lost my little girl Chai cat, stem cells removed, stem cell transplant, 30 sad days away from our home,  days of no energy, days of doing nothing but sleeping, days of not eating anything but Bob Evans mashed potatoes, days of drinking nothing but Power Aid, days of only being able to walk two houses past ours, days of trying not to look at myself when I passed a mirror and did I mention 200 or more tubes of blood drawn.  And during this last year I have received cards, letters, books, slippers, pjs, texts, emails, phone calls, prayers, positive energy.  All of these I couldn't have done without.  The caring you all have showered me and Bill with has been great.  I thank each and every one of you.  And last but not least, we appreciate the wonderful support and friendship we have received from Michelle and Gery during this last year.  So glad we chose them for our neighbors.  😘

Dr. Sarriera had a plan for me and still has a plan for me.  I trust him immensely.  Because one year later Bill and I are hearing the words Multiple Myeloma again.  Again, we are in disbelief but know a lot more this time about Myeloma and it's ugliest.  This time the Myeloma is call plasmacytoma.  I have once again gone through an MRI, Pet Scan, x-ray, bone marrow biopsy and of course lots and lots of blood draws.  The plan this time will be radiation.  This time we weren't told to get my affairs in order and not to be afraid to call Hospice.  My team of doctors and nurses have a plan.  My team of doctors and nurses talk about how far the treatment of Myeloma has progressed.  I love my team of doctors.   God moved us here for a reason!!

Today I stood in the ocean watching the waves crashing on kids, moms, dads, grandmas, grandpas.  Today I stood in the ocean shedding a few tears for myself as I reflected on my last year and what I am about to encounter again soon.  Today I stood in the ocean saying a few prayers for me and Bill to be able to deal with this next few weeks of treatments.

Quote:

 Every day may not be good but there is something good in every day.







2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written by my beautiful sister..love you bunches Kathy and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of my mom and her strength! Love you! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete