Tuesday, February 13, 2018

28,800

Tomorrow (Wednesday) is the day we hear about my biopsy.  My icing on the cake!  The last piece we need.  No detectable Myeloma in the bone marrow is what we want to hear.  Appointment with Dr. Sarriera is at 10 AM.  The results and then we decide if I go to on with cycle 7 or go to a maintenance plan.  So much depends on that result.

My support group meeting was last night.  My "put some happy" in my life.  As Bill and I are walking in to the church where our meeting is held, I hear this - Oh my!  Look at you.  No hat and you have hair.  Wow.  So happy for you.  Awesome!  This was our meeting leader, Ken.  He noticed right away.  Made me feel great.  Then as the members came in, Kathie, one of the couples that sit with us a lot, looked at me when I said hello to her.  A look of who are you?  I finally told her and she too was ecstatic.  Several other members also made remarks.  Benn being one.

First we ate our dinner provided by Kelly who works for Celgen, a drug company that is the manufacturer of Ravlimid.  The most widely used drug for Myeloma.  The one I am allegoric to.
We then had a speaker from the IMF (International Myeloma Foundation).  IMF is our sponsor.  Really a great foundation.  Check them out if you get a chance.  Website is myeloma.org   A lot of info about Myeloma.

One of the programs they have is called Black Swan.  This is a program is working to find a cure for that little bit of Myeloma that we can't measure or find.  That little minute, hidden piece of Myeloma we harbor even though all our numbers are good.  The IMF continues with their research until a cure is found for Myeloma.

After the speaker, we started around the tables like we do each meeting and we tell our stories.  I started.  First - I am Kathy but many of you don't recognize me because I do not have a hat on and I have hair.  It's has grown in nice all but the spot in the back from radiation.  But that piece is growing too, just slower.  And since I don't see it, it doesn't bother me.  A big round of applause!!  Next-I was diagnosed in July 2016, transplant in November 2016, relapsed, been on a treatment plan for 6 cycles, waiting on results from biopsy.  All my numbers are where they should be and no signs of Myeloma at this time.  A big round of applause!!  Next-And finally my doctor told me that I was in REMISSION!!!  Couldn't have done it without my caregiver, my husband.  And another big round of applause!!  I felt wonderful and full of "happy"!  My support group!!!

Bill and I wanted to leave early.  We had some PA visitors (Sandy and Denny) to pick up at the airport.  The excitement of them being here for a bit and the wonderful feeling from my support group, well, what can I say.  Anyway, Benn is headed for a bone marrow transplant April 2nd.  He and his wife, Carmela, will be on vacation the week of our next meeting.  Will not see him for several months.  I didn't want to leave without saying something to him and giving him a hug.  I walked around the tables to his, hugged him, told him good luck.  He told me I looked wonderful and was so happy to hear my good news.  Hugged Carmela and she told me she was going to start a blog once Benn was ready for his transplant and would send me the site.  This will keep me aware of his blight with the transplant.

Did you know that you, on an average, blink 15 to 20 times per minute, 1,200 times per hour and 28,800 times a day?  Information I learned today while in a doctor's office.  Thought I would share it for what it is worth.  :)

Quote:

Stand in your light and shine brightly because that is how you will defeat darkness.











No comments:

Post a Comment