Wednesday, February 14, 2018

COW VS WOW

Yes.  We got the news, we got the news.  The icing on the cake.  The last piece we needed.  The results of my biopsy.

Dr. Sarriera knocked on the door before coming in and scared Bill and I both.  Making us all laugh.  He shook our hands and started by listening to my heart, checking my eyes, looking in my mouth, feeling over my head.  Then asked my how I was feeling.  Awesome was the word that came out.  He said he was so glad to hear that.  Told me to sit down in a chair and he would show us what info he had for us via the computer.    Come on.  Tell us what we want to hear.

He pulled up the biopsy report.  Read a few things to us saying what we wanted to hear.  All things looked good.  Nothing showing up.  Feels we won the battle and would be able to start on a maintenance plan.  There is one more report he is waiting on from the biopsy but doesn't feel this will be a problem.  So it's all good?  Yes, all good!  Wonderful!!!!

Dr. Sarriera reviewed my light chain reports.  Same as before.  Not concerned at this time.  Bilirubin will be watched as usual.  My "M spike" is still zero.  And all other labs are where he wants them to be.

All is good.  We know there is that minute, hidden piece of Myeloma somewhere that can attack at any time.  BUT all is good right now and we will continue with a maintenance plan to prevent it from causing a relapse.

Dr. Sarriera then explained what he has determined to be the best maintenance for me at this time.  I will no longer have to take the Dex and the 11 Cytoxan chemo pills.  Did I hear you say no Dex?  This coming from Bill.  That put a big smile on his face.  I will still have the Kyprolis drip but only once a week instead of twice.  That will be for 3 weeks on and 1 week off.  That's it.  Just the chemo drip, once a week.  No Dex and no Cytoxan.  Just Kyprolis.  He will want to see me every 8 weeks, with Myeloma labs done the week before.  This will be Dr. Sarriera's way of monitoring my disease.  Of course, if I have problems anytime before that visit, I can call his office.

The new plan will start next week.  Will continue forever.  However, Dr. Sarriera did say that maybe somewhere down the road, he may change it to every other week.  And if I need a week that I may not be able to make it to the Cancer Center for treatment (traveling etc), he doesn't have a problem with me missing a week.  That's it.  See you in 8 weeks.

I will be watching to see how I will react to only the Kyprolis without the other two meds and only once a week.  Will I still be fatigued, foggy headed, have the sinus pressure etc?  We shall see.

We made my new appointment for 8 weeks to see Dr. Sarriera.  The other Kyprolis drip appointments will be made by Champa, the scheduler for oncology doctors.  My next appointment is at 12:30 for my 3 month Zometa drip.

Off we went to the library on the second floor to give them more brochures about our support group.  Then up to 5LP to give the receptionists their Valentine box of chocolates.  Lunch.  Then to 2 ACC to see Pat and give her a box of Valentine chocolates.  Talked with her a bit. Registered at 2 ACC to get my Zometa.  Drip done for another 3 months.

Tonight we had Gery, Sandy and Denny over for dinner.  Great time with some great friends.  Missed Michelle though.  And thank you Gery for the beautiful yellow roses.  A gift for me because of my great news today.

When they were pushing me in to the OR for my biopsy, the nurse that was accomplishing me said to the guy behind me pushing - wait, COW in the road.  No sorry, I meant to say WOW in the road.  Of course, I was curious and had to ask.  She explained that COW meant computer on wheels.  Their computer stations inside the OR that are on a stand that is on wheels to be able to move around as needed.   They were no longer allowed to call it that because a patient thought when they said that they were referring to a person.  I am serious.  So now it's WOW which means web on wheels.

Quote:

Nothing is impossible.  With prayers, love and courage, you will win the battle over cancer.  Never give up.







2 comments: