Wednesday, February 28, 2018

Black cat.

Yesterday, Tuesday, was my second Kyprolis drip for my maintenance plan.  Bilirubin was down from last week and barely in the range for approval from Dr. Sarriera to proceed.  Got the approval and drip was started and we were out of there.  Said goodbye to Elaine and Shannon - see you next week.  Got our car from the valet parkers - see you next week.

Well, that wasn't so.  I, once again, got the shivers.  Started about the same time as last week, around 9:45 and lasted till around 11.  They weren't as severe as last week but they were strong especially the last 1/2 hour.  So this morning, Wednesday, I emailed Desiree as to what happened.  Desiree wasn't in so Beth relayed the message to Dr. Sarriera.  He immediately ordered chest X-rays, urine culture and blood cultures.  So my see you next week was squashed.  Bill and I made the trip in to the Cancer Center for my tests.  Results in a few days.

I have never had a blood culture done before.  My lab tech, Caesar, asked me a bunch of questions and said - I will be back.  I have to go get the bottles.  Okay, what bottles?  I sort of thought maybe it was for the urine culture.  He comes back with these 4 bottles that look like miniatures you buy at the liquor store.  Continues to put the lines in my port to draw blood.  I finally asked him what the bottles were for.  He explained he had to hook each of them up to my port line and draw blood in to them.  The liquid that was already in the bottle was the concoction to test for bacteria.  He flushed my line and took a sample of blood to make sure it was accessed right.  He then takes one of the bottles and hooks it up to my line and the blood just flowed nicely in bottle one, then two, then three and four.  Labels them and puts them in bags to be sent to the lab for testing.  Process amazed me.  He then had me a cup and shows me where the bathroom was. All that finished, I head for registration for the chest X-ray.  Once X-ray  done we head back home.   When we left, we didn't say see you next week.

Last night on the way home from Sandy and Denny's, a black cat ran out in front of us.  Most of you know how superstitious I am about that.  Bill just pulled the car over.  I got out and walked around the car 3 times.  Got back in and we continued on our way home.

Quote:

There is a "can" in "can"cer and we can beat it.



No comments:

Post a Comment