Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Did you take Kathy to the vets office today?

First - We have had our special, special and did I say special friends visiting with us for the last 6 days?  What a wonderful, fun loving, laughing, crying, sharing, some drinking and much, much needed visit.  Louise and Bob came to visit.  We have not seen them since June 2016.  This was before I was even diagnosed with Multiple Myeloma.  It was there but we had no idea!!  So again, I say, this was a much, much, much needed visit.  We ate out a few times, ordered pizza and wings, went to the beach, floated in the pool, sat on the porch talking and they had a few drinks (they as Bill, Bob and Louise. Okay, I had one or two half drinks), shared some time with Michelle and Gery, had Ellie one day as she didn't have school, visited with  Kristi, Sasha, Ellie, Chloe, Gracie, Sunshine, Millie and Emma, Matt had to leave for meetings for Spirit so didn't see him, chased frogs, drove by Pulse, watch a few Yankee games (:, talked, talked, talked and talked.

Today was very hard saying good bye when we dropped Louise and Bob off at the airport.  So very hard for me anytime we drop any of our friends or family off at the airport or say goodbye in our driveway.   I know I am a very, very strong person.  I know I am a very determined person to beat my cancer.   But I also know I will always have Myeloma lurking around in my bone marrow.  I know Myeloma is treatable but not curable.  I know.  I know.  I know.  But knowing this makes me cry because I think in my mind that I may never see these people again.  I try to not let them see me cry as they are leaving.  I share this with Bill as we or they drive away.  As I am trying not to let you see my tears now as you all read this part of my blog.  This is something I need to express.  Just want to share my feelings tonight.  Just needed to share my feelings tonight.  Just need to cry a bit more.  Now will wipe away those tears so I can see to type the rest of this day's happenings.  Thanks for letting me cry.  Thanks for understanding this is something I will always feel no matter what.

Cycle 3, week 1, day 1 started today.  I took my 10 steroids this morning along with my other 5 meds and vitamins.  Left after taking Louise and Bob to the airport for the Cancer Center.  Got there around 12:15.  Took me back within 5 minutes to put my lines in my port and draw labs.  Then right back to my room.  And then the wait started.  Took a bit for the labs to come back.  Bilirubin was up again.  So the wait for the go ahead from Dr. Sarriera to have the Kyprolis drip mixed and administered.  That took a bit .  I told my oncology nurse, it was Maggie today, the reason was because Desiree wasn't there.  :). Maggie did start a bag of fluids.  Usually this drips about 5 minutes before the chemo drip but today she started it for 15 minutes and mentioned it would stop and once the Kyprolis was ready and dripped, she would set the fluids for another 15 minutes.  Questioned her on this because was different and she said it was ordered by Dr. Sarriera.  Guess he wanted me to have more fluids.  I will ask him about this at my November appointment.  Note to self - add this question to my Sarriera notes on my phone.  Finally done around 3:30.  My long day!  Tuesday is always my long day.  They did give us lunch.  Ended the day with an invite from Michelle and Gery to have dinner with them.  Gery made Sheppard's pie.  First time for us.  Loved it.

Now I am wide awake from the steroids.  10:15.  Waiting to take my 11 Cyclophosphamide (got that one Louise?) chemo pill at 10:30.  This will make my total 30 pills on Tuesdays now that I added a new supplement of Turmeric.

Today had a few first for us.  We actually saw an alligator floating in Lake Jesup when we were crossing the over the bridge and about the same time an eagle flew down to get a fish.  This was shortly after dropping Louise and Bob off.  Beautiful sights.  Beautiful signs from above.

During the time we were waiting on the drip, I got some water coloring painting relaxing therapy.  The volunteer, Valerie, was working with another patient and come over and asked if I would be interested in a quick lesson in painting with water colors.  Sure, not going anywhere for a bit.  We did a small, probably 8 1/2 X 11,  painting of some flowers.  Not so bad.  I do think I will frame this one.  Wish I could figure out how to post pictures on here.  Kristi!!!!!!   Then I had a visitor.  Me.  Someone other then the receptionists and my oncology nurses and Bill knows me.  Pat, the wife of our HOA (Home Owners Association for Deer Run) president works at the Cancer Center.  She was on her lunch break, remembered that I had treatments on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and came from her office to say hi and see how I was doing.  Very thoughtful and very nice.   Much appreciated.

Also, while waiting on the drip and working on the painting, we had 5 therapy dogs visited our rooms.  They were dressed in their Halloween customs.  (11 chemo pills down).  Big dogs, little dogs.  So dang cute, so loving and very quiet.   Their trainers are wonderful too.  They talk with you, caring about your reason for being there.  So Bill is sending pictures of these dogs to Kristi, Kerri and of course our dog loving Gery.  Kristi and Kerri respond with so cute, so nice, wonderful.  Gery also commented on them being cute, wonderful and then asked Bill "Did you take Kathy to the vets office today instead of the Cancer Center?"  What a good laugh!  Thanks Gery.

Quote:

You gain strength, you gain courage and you gain confidence by every experience when you stop to look fear in the face.







2 comments:

  1. I really like how you start your writing in the beginning only to reveal it at the end! Good stuff. Glad you had a much needed visit with my parents. I know my mom really needed it too. My visit is next... ;)

    ReplyDelete