Monday, October 9, 2017

It is my family.

Well, I sure messed up on my cycle count in my previous post.  We are going in to Cycle 2, week 3, day 1.  That would be tomorrow.  Then day 2 on Wednesday.  Then I am done with treatments and meds except for regular meds and Dex until October 24th.  That would be 13 days off.  And that works out so well because we are getting company from PA!!!  Company that I have waited for, for quite a while.  Company!!!  So excited!!!  Lots of catching up to do.  Can't wait!!!

Tonight was our Myeloma meeting.  As always, I leave there so up and so excited about the info we get from the speakers.  Tonight was an oncology nurse of 30 years.  When she first heard of Myeloma years ago, patients were told we can try this but there's not much we can do for you.  This disease is untreatable.  Now she, some 30 years later, has seen new drugs introduced, longer survival rates, older drugs like Revlimid and Velcade helping so many Myeloma patients.  Can't tolerate Revlimid, Pomalyst, Velcade well there is now Plan B, Plan C, Plan D etc.  Myeloma is now treatable but still not curable.  There will always be Myeloma cells "lurking" in my blood but my numbers are not measuring them at this time.  My treatment plan is working.  My treatment plan is pushing me towards remission.  My treatment plan is working.

Tomorrow I also have an appointment to see Dr. Sarriera.  All my lab tests should be back and from what I am seeing, all looks good again.  Just need Dr. Sarriera to verify.  Also, I will be able to ask about Desiree.  And hopefully see some pictures of those babies.

Arlene.  Arlene is Ken's, our founder of the Myeloma support group, second in command.  She is an oncology nurse.  Has been with the group for a long time.  Arlene supports us in so many ways.  She very rarely misses a meeting.  Is there to decorate the tables, lead the group chat session, get us to sign cards for our members who are sick or lost a family member and keeps Ken in order.   Tonight she shared with us how she came about being a part of the group.  Sorry but I forget how long ago she began coming to meetings.  But think it was from pretty much the beginning 10 years ago.  When she was sharing, she got a bit emotional and said this group is like my family.  It is my family.  And I agree wholeheartedly.  This group has become my family.  This group has become my treatable part of my Myeloma.  This group has become a part of my monthly schedule.  This group has become a part of me.

Quote:

You can beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you love.


3 comments:

  1. reading this makes me tear up, because tomorrow Oct 19th I will be in FL with my BFF!!A long awaited visit, filled with laughter, giggles, "mag pies" and possibly some tears in my or our wine!!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I am so ready for this visit. Mag pies, tears, laughter, giggles all wrapped up in a few days with my BFF finally. xoxo

      Delete