Tuesday, October 3, 2017

Shut the door.

Today was Cycle 2, week 1, day 1.  My long day.  Even a tad bit longer as they had to draw 6 tubes of blood for the lab.  4 gold top tubes, 2 green top tubes (I think it was green).  These extra draws are for my Myeloma tests requested by Dr. Sarriera for next week's appointment.  As we know, some of the Myeloma tests take extra time.  Getting on a schedule to have them done the week before my appointment so they are back and ready to be discussed.  Took my 10 Dexamethasone this morning along with my regular 4 pills.  Waiting now to take my 11 Cyclophosphamide around 10:30.  It's about 10:15 now.  Then, since the Dex has me wired, I will be up for a bit.

Oh, also took an extra pill this morning.  It was my Z-pack for my sinus infection.  My Arithmetic pill as I call it.  Started feeling like I was getting a cold on Tuesday.  Use Aleve and Vicks for two nights.  By Friday, felt somewhat worse but still not real bad.  Saturday was okay.  Then Sunday evening it felt and sounded like my "old time" sinus infections.  I kept taking my temperature all week because if I would spike a temperature, I would have to get in to the Cancer Center as soon as possible.  This is because of my immune system.  Highest was 98.5 which is nothing.  Monday morning as soon as my family doctor opened, I called and got any appointment.  Dr. Henley didn't take long to agree with me.  Script written and was out within 15 minutes.  So took two pills yesterday and 1 today.  Have 3 more to go.  Actually feel somewhat better today.  They always work for me.

Got to the Cancer Center in time to go to the library and also pick up my script at their pharmacy.  We really like that pharmacy.  And most of them recognize me.  Hmmm???   Library stop was to ask if they would display brochures about our Myeloma support group.   Of course they would.  Not sure if we will get any new participants but worth the try.  I know if Kristi hadn't found this group for us as quickly as she did if we would have found it.  Probably but who knows when.  So glad for this support.  You have no idea how I feel when I leave.  Hard to explain.  Just know it's a great feeling.

Today was an okay day when I got up but after I got ready to leave for the Cancer Center, the tears were there.  Didn't take much to turn in to a fountain that wouldn't turn off for a bit.  Sometimes I just wish I didn't have these appointments, didn't have to drive anywhere, didn't have to worry about my bilirubin results, didn't have to have blood drawn, didn't have to take all these dang pills, didn't have to, didn't have to, didn't have to.   Then I realize that I do have to, that I do have to, that I do have.  Collected myself together and did!!!

10:30.  Be right back.  3 capsules, 3 capsules, 3 capsules, 2 capsules, done.  Mom asks me every time if I take them with yogurt.  No mom, I just put them in my mouth and swallow them.  For someone who only ever took one pill a day, I have become good at this because I do have to.

My lab tech today was Kerrie Ann.  Her sisters names are Karen, Kristy, Kate.  Had a brother name Doug.  Forgot to tell you this Kerri and Kristi.  Not sure what credentials these techs have but I know some of them rotate to the rooms where the cancer patients get their drips.  Not the normal lab techs we are used to.  I don't even think the techs on the 1st floor of the Cancer Center have special credentials.  I get draws there occasionally.

Miles was my oncology nurse again today.  And he has worked in the lab draw area.  In fact, that's where I first met him.  Got in my room around 1.  Waited for my lab results so they could mix my Kyprolis.  Labs finally came back around 1:30.  Bilirubin was up again but down from last Tuesday.  2.0 last Tuesday and 1.6 today.  Still high.  Miles had to check with Dr. Sarriera again.  He approved.  Miles sent order to pharmacy and had to wait for the mix.  I actually fell asleep for a bit.  Drip started about 2:20.  Done and out of there around 2:40.  Tomorrow should go fast.  No labs.

During the time we were waiting on the labs, bells started dinging and lights started flashing.  Bill and I did a sit up straight.  What???  Miles walked over and shut the door to our room.  Said it was a requirement when those things happen (bells and lights).  Still nothing as to what was going on.  No announcements.  Miles was very calm.  Me not so much.  Bill not so much.  Finally an announcement was made but couldn't hear it because our door was shut.  Not speakers in our room.  Sure that was on purpose.  Bill thought they said something about smoke on the 1st floor.  Finally the bells stopped.  Lights on for just a bit more.  One of the oncology nurses, Kara, came in and told Miles what was going on.  When she left, I asked him.  There was pop and the sprinklers went off.  Part of the first floor was flooded with black, oily water as the elevators were involved too.  When we finally left, we had to take the back elevators down to the first floor and cross over.  I was waiting on Bill and one of the receptionist (guest service is located where this happened) said she was just sitting there, heard a pop and got soaked.  There were maintenance workers everywhere on that floor.  Sort of scary with all that goes on in the world today.  Hate that feeling but with Pulse just a 1/2 mile up the road from the Cancer Center and the Vegas shootings just happening, I was a bit scared.

Quote:

Sometimes when I say I am okay, I just want someone to say, here is a hug, I know you are not.






2 comments: