Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Kackels!

Wonderful news today.  My Myeloma labs come back today.  My M-spike (Para Protein) is at zero.  Not able to measure any Myeloma.  This is a measurement that Bill and I love to see.  And along with that lab result, my IFE showed no monoclonal bands detected.  This test relates to the M-spike.  If the M-spike is excessive, the IFE determines which subtype of M protein is present thus pointing to the presence of Multiple Myeloma.  I sent an email to Desiree (yes, she is still around) to have Abby review.  Told Desiree these two tests make my heart smile.  Abby reviewed, concurred with what I saw and said the results make her heart smile too.  I will be having these lab tests done every 4 weeks.  This will be Dr. Sarriera and Abby's monitoring of how I am doing.  We need these two important (they are all important) lab results to stay as stated above.

I have a few new viewers of my blog so thought I would add the next information in for them. As we know, Myeloma is a blood cancer found in the bone marrow.  White blood cells form as plasma cells.  These plasma cells create antibodies to help fight infections. Multiple Myeloma causes cancer cells to accumulate in the bone marrow.  They crowd out the healthy blood cells.  Rather than produce helpful antibodies, the cancer cells produce abnormal proteins.

My weekend went pretty well.  Coming down off the steroids make me very tired.  So slept a lot Friday, Saturday and Sunday.   Had dinner at Matt and Kristi's Friday night, shop a bit with Michelle on Saturday and just kicked back most of the day Sunday.

Is nice not having to go to the Cancer Center today and tomorrow.  But still have to take my 10 Dex (steroids) today.  That's why I am still up at 12:15 posting on my blog.  Was going to get mom today but she has gout so we postponed till tomorrow if her meds kick in.  Will call her in the morning to see how she feels.

Monday was our support group meeting.  It was the 10th year "birthday" since Ken started the group.  Carmella (Ben's wife) brought decorations that we hung and some center pieces, Cindy (another Myeloma survivor) brought center pieces too,  there were balloons galore, a huge cake and smiles all around from Ken.  I had asked our oncology nurse, Arlene,  if she would contact the IMF (International Myeloma Foundation group that supports our group) and see if they would send a rep to congratulate Ken for hanging in there for 10 years as our leader.  Arlene did and the IMF did.  Ken seemed to be very emotional when he saw her (Anne).  Our speaker did not show up.  We think because of Irma and having to move our meeting out another week, he got his dates messed up.  So we had a nice informal meeting with our Myeloma fighters each speaking.  Just about every one of them said this meeting has been a priority since they joined the group, how much it has helped them and how much each of us mean to them.  Great emotional comments from them as well as our care givers.  Well, Bill did say that he was locking me in my room starting tonight since I take my Dexamethasone today.  Ken ended the meeting saying he had three things he lives by:

Trust in God
Ask for help
Don't be so private

Good advice.  Good group that I am proud to be a part of even knowing the reason we are there.   We are not dying from Myeloma, we are living with Myeloma.  That per Dave another fighter.

My step-mother, Peg, has been on my mind a lot.  She was a wonderful, loving, caring stepmother.  She loved me and my sisters and brothers like we were her own.  Boy, what a time we gave her but she was always there for us covering up things from our dad.  When I see Kristi, Matt and my granddaughters Sasha and Ellie, I think about how Peg would have loved being part of their lives. When I see Kerri, her husband Paul and our 6 other grandkids, Jakob, Kristopher, Chad, Leah, Juliana and Layton, I think about how Peg would have loved being part of their lives.  When I see my niece Michelle and her tribe as she calls them, Jasmine, Jordan, Desi, Kaden, Molly and Kyle, I think about how Peg would have loved being part of their lives.  When I see my nephew Johnnie and his wife Wanda and step-daughter Ashlee, I think about how Peg would have loved being part of their lives.  When I see my nephew Matt, his wife Connie and their beautiful daughter Madeleine, I think about how Peg would have loved being part of their lives.  Step didn't and wouldn't have mattered to her.  Love and miss you Peg.  And oh, my nickname she gave me was Kackels!!!

Quote:

I am here today and today, I would rather smile than cry.






9 comments:

  1. 😙😙😙 Great news!! Many continued prayers for you and much love!! 👜👜

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen. Much love to you too. So glad you are following me. xoxo

      Delete
  2. 😙😙😙 Great news!! Many continued prayers for you and much love!! 👜👜

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful blog, beautiful news, but a more beautiful you!! Love you BFF. Keep on keeping on and that damn C will be gone!!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. So glad you enjoy reading my blog. It gets personal sometimes but it's my blog to say what's on my mind at the time. Doesn't matter if it's cancer related or not. xoxo

      Delete
  4. Made my heart smile,too, Kathy. And the beautiful loving part about Peg. That made my heart smile even more. She loved her family and would certainly love all the grandkids and great grands and great great grand. Love you and so proud of you for being so strong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sister!! Love when our hearts smile. Love you too.

      Delete
  5. Fantastic news! You are an amazing woman Kathy! Thank you for sharing your journey. You are loved and prayed for!!

    ReplyDelete