Monday, September 4, 2017

Irma!

Weekend was a pretty feel good weekend.  Steroids all out of my system.  And just in time to take 10 of them again tomorrow along with my chemo drip and 11 chemo pills.  Tomorrow, a day of 29 pills.  I know, I know this is necessary but I can complain if I want.  ;)

Wanted to update on my neuropathy.  Although it's not at all like last year this time where I was walking the floors for hours, not sleeping because of it and just down right miserable from it.  My finger tips are still numb and tingly.  Still drop things sometimes because I think I have a hold on it but don't.  My toes are also numb feeling and tingly.  The balls of my feet still feel like they are swollen but they aren't and when I walk on them, it feels like I am walking on golf balls.  (Even though I never walked on a golf ball but I am sure that's how it would feel).  Still take the Lyrica 3 times a day for my neuropathy.  Again, nothing like last year but still there.  I don't think the nerve damage that was done will ever repair itself.

My hair is growing in again except for the large area where the radiation hit.   This area is a bit bigger than my hand with my fingers slightly spread.  Goes from the top of my head to below my right ear and spread out both towards the front and the back of my head.  Not pretty and not fun to look at.  I wear a hat of some type most of the time.  We knew there was a possibility the radiation treatments would cause the hair not to grow in but prayed it would.  The radiation treatments were necessary and we choose that option knowing the side effects.  I do have a nice wig but when I put it on, it is a reminder of my disease.  I will eventually wear it I am sure but right now, not doing it.  Just wear one of my many hats.  Speaking of hats, Sandy brought me a one along when they were down two weeks ago and I just got one in the mail from Jean.  Both are really nice.  Thinking time to order another two or three to add more to my stash.

The chemo drug, Cyclops, I am on also has a side effect of temporary hair loss.  Usually about 3 to 6 weeks after the start of therapy, hair loss may begin.  Since chemo drugs do not know the difference between a cancerous cell and the normal cells, it will kill all cells that are dividing rapidly.  The normal cells will grow back and be healthy but in the meantime, side effects occur.  The normal cells most commonly affected by chemo are the blood cells, cells in the mouth, stomach and bowel and the hair follicle.  The hair will grow back after treatment is complete.  My treatment is scheduled out until early next year.  :(

Tomorrow starts day 1 of cycle 2.  Tomorrow will be a long day at the Cancer Center.  Labs, waiting on lab tests, doctor approval if any of my numbers are off, pharmacy mixing the Kyprolis at a strength depending on my lab numbers, oncology nurse administering drip and saline.  Hope it's not a long as last week.  And, my appointment is at 9:30.  Ugh.  Like my 12:30 and later appointments.

Florida has been declared as a state of emergency already.  Irma.  We have been watching this for over a week now and it doesn't look too good for Florida.  Michelle and Gery went out today to look for a generator, water and batteries.  They came home with some batteries.  We hope to stop tomorrow after my treatment to stock up on some water, if we can find some.  Meanwhile, I am praying this turns and goes back out to sea.

Quote:

A river cuts through a rock not because of its power but because of its persistence.






No comments:

Post a Comment