Wednesday, August 16, 2017

5th floor lady.

A little more bad news today.  My labs from the Myeloma testings are back.  They are posted on my health portal.  Sent an email to Desiree for some explanations even though we sort of know what they mean.  She had Abby call me.  So the M-spike is showing 0.  This is a measurement Dr. Sarriera usually uses to measure Myeloma in the blood.  Abby said that it is probably .1 and just not measuring.  Reason she is saying this is because my Lambda light chain and my Kappa Lambda ratios are not good.  These are showing there is Myeloma in my blood that is now measurable according to these ratios.  When the Lambda light chains numbers increase and the Kappa Lambda ratio decrease, this is a indication of Multiple Myeloma.  This is what is happening to my numbers.  We figured as much since I found that lump during radiation.  But didn't really want to hear it.

Dr. Sarreria already had my plan set even without seeing these Myeloma labs.  My plan starts tomorrow, Thursday, August 17th.  I will get my first IV drip of Kyprolis.  Thinking my port incision isn't healed enough to start using it tomorrow.  I am okay with them inserting a line in my arm or hand to use until this heals. I have been stuck some many times I even watch now.  The oncology nurse will examine the port area tomorrow and decide to use or not to use according to Abby.  After the IV drip, I will pick up my Pomalyst (chemo pills) and my Dexamethasone (steroid pills) and start taking them once I am home.   21 days on and a week off for the Pomalyst (1pill); Dex every 7 days no break (10 pills), Kyprolis every Thursday and Friday for three weeks and one week off.  Not sure of the strength of the Kyprolis yet.  They will do labs to check my counts and make that decision then.  The labs will be done on Thursdays.

This treatment plan is going to work.  It's going to move my numbers back to the good level.  It's going to knock this cancer out of me.  It's going to make me smile a real smile, laugh a real laugh.  This is something that Bill has been waiting for.  Something that I want for Bill.

Tomorrow I will go back to the 5th floor of the Cancer Center to start my treatment.  The 5th floor where I had my Velcade shot every Friday and Monday last year.  The 5th floor with Julia, Kara, Tammy and names of other oncology nurses I can't remember.  I do remember the one nurse that I will not go to her station.  That name will stick forever.  The one 5th floor lady I am anxious to see is, um, um, can't remember her name either.  She is one of the receptionists for the 5th floor team.  So pleasant and a great person to be your first contact when you get off that elevator.  I am anxious to see them again but not for the reason I am back.

Quote:

I have learned that it's not what I have in my life but who I have in my life that counts.




No comments:

Post a Comment