Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Do you like turkey?

Day 1 of my new treatment.   We changed the days to Tuesdays and Wednesdays to have better control of days if there were problems.  I still take the 10 Dex (steroids), my regulars, the drip and now the 11 Cyclophosphamide which replaces the Pomalyst.  Here is how my med day is on Tuesdays - 4 morning pills with breakfast (Lyrics, Acyclovir, 2 vitamins), then the 10 Dex (steroids).  Head to the Cancer Center for an appointment usually around 1 or 2 where I get my labs drawn.  Then to my room for the Kyprolis chemo drip.  Next up is my 3 o'clock meds (Lyrica and Statin).  Depending on when we get home, these may be later than 3.  Next, 8 o'clock meds (Lyrica and Acyclovir).  And now around 9:30, my 11 Cyclophosphamide chemo pills (I will be calling these Cyclops).  So let's count.  4, 10, 2, 2, 11 = 29 and that's not counting the chemo drip.   This is just on Tuesday each week for 3 weeks.  The Dex is continual; no break.

Today, Tuesday and every Tuesday during my cycles will be our long day.  Once labs are drawn and sent for testing, the results are sent to my chemo nurse for review.  Once she sees all in order, she will contact pharmacy to mix my Kyprolis drip.  This whole process takes a bit of time.  Once mixed, sent to the nurse and she administers along with a saline drip afterwards.  Some do some of the saline before and save some for after the Kryprolis.  Their preference.  Then we are on our way.

Well, today when my labs came back, they flagged my bilirubin (or as Kerri called it, my billybob).  It was up.  Nurse, whose name is Patrice, explained this could be caused by my meds or a slight infection.  Patrice had to contact Dr. Sarriera regarding this increase to see what needed to be done with my drip dosage.  This again takes time.  And on top of that, I had noticed the last few days of a slight burning when I go to the bathroom.  So an urinalysis was ordered.  Those results, I should know by tomorrow.  Finally heard back from Dr. Sarriera.  Decrease the dosage of the Kyprolis.  She contacted pharmacy, dose mixed, sent to nurse, set up drip and saline.  Finally left about 4. Got there about 12:45. Tomorrow, Wednesday will just be my chemo drip and regular 8 meds.  Chemo drip will be for the 3 weeks only also.  Very confusing I am sure but I got the wonderful calendar from Desiree.

Speaking of Desiree, I asked her if I could come talk to her for about 5 minutes after my treatment.  All set up.  We went down to her floor and asked someone to tell her we were in the waiting room when she was ready.  In about 10 minutes out comes Randi, her assistant, and told us they made her go lay down a bit.  Her stomach was hardening up (early contractions I would say).  Randi said she told her to ask us to wait a bit.  Not happening on our part especially since we are going to be back at the Cancer Center tomorrow.  Please relay this to Desiree.  Not that important.  Randi also told us the babies weighed about 5 lbs each.  Good size.  Never know with twins!  I can't say at this time what I wanted to see her about.  Just in case.  She reads my blog now.  And I will inquire about her tomorrow.

We went over to Michelle and Gery's for dinner tonight.  Yummy stuffed green peppers, mashed potatoes and porcupine meatballs.  They knew we had a long day at the Cancer Center on Tuesday.  I was telling them about my 29 pill day.  Said I only 13 to go when we got home.  Gery asked what do I take them with?  I said water.  He asked - do you like turkey?  Huh?  Well he gives Murphy (their dog) his in some turkey.  Lean turkey.  He realized what he said and we couldn't quit laughing.  Maybe you had to be there.  But I am guessing Kristi, Sandy and Denny quite understand and can laugh with us.

Quote:

Strength is when you have so much to cry about but you try to smile instead.


1 comment: