Thursday, August 3, 2017

Liquid nails.

Well, had my doctor's appointment with Dr. Sarriera today.  First it was to the first floor for labs and then up to the 2nd for my appointment.  This appointment was a follow up after my radiation with
Dr. Nanda and team.  We had a feeling it wasn't going to go so well because I found another lump on my head.  This I found about 2 days before my radiation treatment was over.  However, I didn't mention it to anyone, not even Bill (told him this morning).   Was hoping that it was in the line of attack for the radiation even though I knew it wasn't.  It started out the same as the others.  Small hard lump.  Pain around the perimeters if you touch it.

Dr. Sarriera came in the room with his usual smile.  Asked me a few questions and then talked about examining my head.  At this time, I told him about the new lump.  The smile became a look of worry.  He examined the area of my head where the radiation had attacked.  Then the new lump.  Almost immediately he said he agreed with me that this was a new area of cancer.  He then said he had plan on discussing my maintenance plan with me but now he wanted this new plan put in to action.  Just that quick, his mind shifted from one treatment plan to another.  No hesitation, no let me go to my office and think about this, no come back in a week and we will have something worked out for you, no look of of, what am I going to do.  Just rattled of his treatment plan for this new set back.  After he discussed the treatment, he said this is very unusual to come back so quickly but this is a very aggressive cancer.  I told him I really hadn't plan to coming in today and hearing "it's back"!  I had hope to come in, talk with him and leave with a smile on my face, not a tear stained face.  He said he had hope for a better visit too.  Then we went over the treatment plan again.

I will be going on a chemo drug called Pomalyst (would have been the same drug if I was just doing maintenance).  This I will take for 21 days and then have a week off.  This is a cousin to Revlimid but hopefully no rash.  Then I will be going to the Cancer Center for a IV drip of a chemo med called Kyprolis (Carfilzomib) every Thursday and Friday.  This too will be 3 weeks on and 1 week off.  I will be getting a port put in my chest to encompass this drip.  That procedure for the port will probably be sometime next week.  Will be done at ORMC (hospital attached to the Cancer Center).  Will be put under for this procedure.  Then I also will be taking Decadron (Dexamethasone) which is a steroid.  I have taken this before.  That I will take weekly.  No break.  This regiment will continue for 4 to 6 months.  Probably most likely be for six months he said.  I will monitored with labs during the treatment.  Dr. Sarriera also mentioned if we find out for some reason this treatment plan isn't working, there are several others drugs out there to try.  He always seems to be me to be so confident in his decisions.  Never once has he said that he knew something wasn't going to work.  Again, I said I wasn't expecting all this again after a year of battling this Multiple Myeloma.  He did say "I know sweetie, me neither."  That along with a hug.  This all will start the 17th of August.  He wants to give the radiation more time and to make sure all side effects are done.  Haven't had any that I know of other than a few days I felt fatigued in the afternoon.  AND the biggest one, I have lost almost all my hair in the area of attack from the radiation.  AND there is a chance it will not grow back.  This does not make me happy and I will be honest, I have shed a few tears over this too.  And sure I will again.  Not a pretty site.

Desiree then came in with all the info printed out for us to read.  Went over my schedule of drugs again.  She is making a calendar to help with the days of the meds etc.  I have to say that when she walked in the room, as upset as I was, I had to chuckle.  Remember she is pregnant with twin?  I don't think I have every seen anyone's belly that big.  Whoa!!  She even has a harness strapped around her shoulders and back to help hold up her belly.  No kidding.  She is so happy go lucky though.  Her scheduled C-section is September 28th.  I will be surprised if she makes it that long.  Said she will work up until that time.  Will have a hard time dealing with some of my issues without her there to help me through them.  I know her temp will be there but not the same.  Desiree said she already told her (Denise) about her patients and how they are treated by her for their special needs.  You go, Desiree.

Am I upset over all this?  I sure am and will be for a bit.  I will scream, cry, kick and be angry once again as I was 1 year ago.  I sure will.  But I will continue to hope and pray this will be my final treatment.  I will continue to hope and pray that this treatment will work and I can move on to maintenance.  Something I never got to try.  Right now, I am tired, upset and so disappointed.  I know I will carry on as I normally do but that may not be for a bit.  Right now, I need to be upset!!  So bear with me a few days.  Let me talk and be mad.  But please continue to pray that this all soon calms down for Bill and me.  We need it and appreciate it.

The cream the radiation team told me to use on my scalp after my treatment is Aquaphor.  I currently use Cetiphil and asked if I could use that till I got some Aquaphor.  No problem.  So I was in no rush to get the Aquaphor and I finally got some today.  I laid it on our island.  I grabbed it a bit ago to put some on my head.  So glad I looked before I did because I actually picked up a tube of Liquid Nails instead.  Hey, who knows, maybe the Liquid Nails would have made my hair grow back.

Quote:

No matter how good or bad you think life is, wake up each day and be thankful to God for your life.  Someone, somewhere is fighting to survive.



2 comments:

  1. Oh Kath, I can't begin to know what you are feeling, but you are so strong and we are praying! You take as much time as you need to kick, scream and cry just know you are so loved and we are here praying!!

    ReplyDelete