Thursday, August 17, 2017

O 68!

Today started my new treatment plan.  Left the house at 11:30 and got back around 4:30.  Two of the hours were driving time.  When we got to the Cancer Center, we went right to the lab area on 1st floor to drop of my 24 hour urine test.  Then up to the 5th floorr for my Kyprolis IVdrip.  Only waited about 10 minutes and was called back to their lab to insert the needle for the drip in to my port.  I told the tech, Miles, I was concerned the incision for the placement of the port was healed enough.  He examined and felt it was.  Cleaned the area, got the needle with tubes hanging off it, asked me if I wanted him to count to 3 and stick it in my skin to the port.  Told him just to go for it.  He did.  Surprisingly didn't really feel much of a stick.  Miles asked me if I want him to leave it in overnight since I was coming back tomorrow.  No, didn't think so.  Just do it again tomorrow.  Drew two tubes of blood and done.  No blood draw tomorrow, just insert needle.

Miles collected Bill and our stuff and took us back to our room.  My nurse for the day was Rhonda.  Who happened to be at lunch so Trisha got the preliminaries done.  A few questions.  Found out I was  "old hat" with the 5th floor.  Explained my labs where being tested and results sent to pharmacy and 5th floor.  Once done, pharmacy will mix my dosage of Kyprolis for my drip.  Chair reclined, heat on, massager on,  warm blanket, IPad out, relax.  Same for Bill.  Oh, she got me a turkey wrap, chips and yogurt.

After a bit of a wait, Rhonda comes in and introduces herself.  Asked if I had taken my Dex this morning before coming for treatment.  No.  She said she really wanted me to have the Dex.  Would email/call my doctor to see if she could have a drip of it before my Krypolis drip.  More waiting.  Finally came in and gave me 10 Dex pills to take.  Doctor preferred the pills.  Thing is, I have my prescription of Dex waiting to be picked up at the pharmacy.  Oh well.  A bit more waiting.  Finally came in with a bag of Saline.  Hooked that up on the pole but not to me yet.  Said shouldn't be much longer.  Meanwhile, hospital volunteer, Troy, came in with red velvet cupcakes.  My phone was ringing, had it turn off, but Troy saw it was ringing.  I told him it was my mom and he decided to answer it.  Was so funny.  He told her he was her long lost son Troy.  They talked a bit.  I could her her laughing.  Gave me the phone and I told her I would call later.  She asked if that was one of my doctors.  Told her yes as a joke.  Didn't get to tell her any different.  I am sure she had a ball with that one with her friends.  Will tell her tomorrow or maybe not.

Kyprolis finally there.  Rhonda hooked it up on the pole then to me.  Mike, another nurse, came in and asked my name and birth day.  Told him and he read it on the bag of Kypolis to make sure it was my meds.  Rhonda started the drip.  10 minutes done.  Really!  She said it was a very low dose since first day.  Be the same tomorrow.  She then stated the saline to flush my port.  5 minutes done.  Unhooked me.  Discussed some possible side effects and when they may occur.  Said tomorrow will surely go quick.  No labs need.  Meds will probably be mixed and ready till we get there since they are the same as today.  I thanked Rhonda for keeping us informed as to what was going on today.  Done.

Got home.  Changed and cleaned up a bit.  Bingo with Michelle at our local Elks club.  They really play some different games.  Kites, Do Dads, Crazy L, X's, Railroad Ties, Baseball Diamonds, Z's, Pick You Own, King and Queen and more.  Fun.  Michelle and I just watch what cards the person next to us is using.  We did talk to her but she wasn't so friendly at first.  Lightened up then.  Michelle actually did win a game on the call of O 68.  Yeah Michelle.  Next week we are taking Sandy with us.  Bill and I will be picking Sandy and Denny up from the airport tomorrow night.  Can't wait!!!

Quote:

You must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey.




No comments:

Post a Comment