Monday, July 3, 2017

Ever wonder?

Left around 11;45 for my 12:45 appointment.  Today was the "planning" for the radiation treatments. Very worrisome for me.  The not knowing exactly what was happening is very scary.  Got to the Cancer Center and stopped first for my meds.  Both were ready but Bill noticed the one looked bigger than what I have been taking.  He read the bottle and saw that it was the 800 mg of the Acyclovir.  I take 400 mg.  So pharmacy tech had to email Dr. Sarriera's office and get the right prescription.  Will come back later.

Went to the oncology department and checked in.  Fumbled around a bit and finally took the an
ativan  In a few minutes, someone came out and got me.  Can Bill go along?  No problem, there is another waiting room where we are going.  Got to the waiting room and that's where Bill had to wait.  Not allowed to come back with me.  Okay, I asked the Lord to walk with me through this hall and stay with me through this ordeal.  He did.  There were two techs that would be taking care of me today.   They showed me the form of the mask need to cover my face.  Needed to be heated and then formed around my face.  One of the techs asked me the area the radiation will be aiming for.  When I showed her, she asked if I would be able to lay on my stomach.  Sure.  Got things all set up.  Me on my stomach.  Another warm blanket added.  Then Dr. Nanda came in.  I asked him how I did on his homework assignment?  Just laughed and started marking my head.  I also asked him if he could draw a butterfly on my head.  Didn't think so and it would cost extra.  As he was dotting my head, he once again said remember the hair may not grow back in in this area.  Something we just have to wait and find out.  Dr. Nanda mentioned that he wanted me to start my treatments next Wednesday. After he was finished dotting my head, the two techs finished the drawing and formed the bolus,  a piece of artful skin.  Once that was done, they taped my head to the table with the bolus.  Okay, now what. They then placed the heated mask over the back of my head.  I asked if that is where the mask would be.  Yes, easier for the radiation to get to the area needed.  They snapped the mask in place to the table.  I am doing okay, It will be okay.  I can do this.  Then I was sent in to the CT machine for pictures.  That took about 10 minutes.  The techs then took the bolus off my head.  Mask back on and more pictures.  Finally done after another 10 minutes.  Techs took off the mask and I was able to get up.  I did it, I did it.  I asked the tech if the machine that actually does the radiation looked any thing like the CT scanner.  She said no but we could see the exact one I would be using. I23.   Got Bill and we went down to see it.  Big machine. I23!   She explained that I will be laying still and the machine will go around me.  Didn't look too bad.

The tech then gave me an appointment card for July 12th at 1 PM for my first radiation treatment.  So that's next Wednesday.  Will go again on Thursday and Friday.  Nothing Saturday or Sunday.  Start again on Monday the 17th through Friday the 21st.  Then Monday the 24th and Tuesday the 25th.  That will be my 10 days.  Ten days of radiation zapping my cancer in my head.  10 days of driving to the Cancer Center.  10 days that is supposed to kill the cancer in my head.  10 days!!

Did you ever wonder when you are sitting in front of someone that is registering you, asking you a few questions, if that person is really typing info in to your portal or if he/she is also answering an email from a friend at the same time?  Just wondering.

Quote:

One day at a time, one step at a time.  Do what you can, do your best.  Then let God handle the rest.






No comments:

Post a Comment