Monday, July 10, 2017

You got this.

Frist radiation treatment today.  Got to the Cancer Center around 10:45 for my 11 AM appointment.  Popped an Ativan.  In about 10 minutes, a tech named Josh came out to the waiting room to get me.  He showed me where I needed to scan my card, which I hadn't been given one yet, to check in.  Watch the screen to make sure scan registered.  Can also see if your machine (my machine-cool) is running on time.  My machine happens to be 23IX.  And yes, Matt Noll, is it made by Varian.  Looked for the label on it today.  Josh walked us back to the radiation area where my machine, 23IX, was waiting for me.  I asked if Bill could go along in with me.  Answer was yes until they started the radiation.  Meet Josh's assistance Gabi and then on in the room we went.  Gabi started to explain things and my tears started to flow.  Just couldn't help it.  I knew my head was going to be snap down once my mask was put on.  So glad Bill was there to wrap his arms around me and give me words of encouragement, words of hope and just let me cry a bit.  Which he had already gone through with me this morning before we left.  Calmed myself down a bit.  Gabi got me a warm blanket and Josh asked me what kind of music I liked.  I said Beethoven and Bill said piano music.  Well, I am here to tell you that what ever he choose wasn't either.  Ready to get into position?  Yes.  So here is my position.  Picture this.  Lay flat down on my stomach on a table, fore head laying on a metal plate facing down towards the table,  chin laying on a metal plate facing down towards the table, legs straight and feet laying over a pillow wedge.  Warm blanket.  Next comes the mask.  This is not a mask over my face but it is a mask the covers the back of my head.  Not a Silence of the Lamb type.  It's a mesh netting they formed during my planning appointment.  Now hardened. They placed that over my the back of my head and snapped it down.  I just had to see to make myself feel better if I could raise my head.  What, they are going to holler at me?  So!  Well, I could raise my head.  Made me feel a lot better knowing that.  And yes, they sort of hollered including Bill.  But dang, I can do it and that sure did make it easier for me.  Dr. Nanda came in and made sure they were set at the right area for the radiation.  Drew a few more dots on my head, gave his approval and good wishes and left.  They were ready now to unsnap the mask and put the bolus under the mask and on top of my head.  This is so the radiation hits the area but does not penetrate the brain.  Bolus in place, mask back on and snapped in place.  Everyone leaves including Bill and the radiation starts.  The machine goes around me and I am not moving in and out of a tunnel.  This last about 15 minutes and I was done.  Unsnap the mask, set up for a bit, give me my schedule, give me a card to scan and say goodbye till tomorrow.  Josh asked me to schedule the time I would like to come in each day.  He had 7:40 AM, 9:40 AM, 2:40 PM all available.  Bill said there wasn't any way he was going to try to have me up and over to the Cancer Center by 7:40 AM and even the 9:40 wouldn't work.  So we took the 2:40.  When Gabi printed out my schedule it says 2:00, not 2:40.  Will see tomorrow which one was right.

  We left the radiation department and headed back to the area where I had to scan my card to alert
Dr. Nanda I was done and was ready to see him.  When you are doing radiation, you have to visit with your assigned oncology radiology doctor on their assigned days.  Dr. Nanda's day is Monday.  We waited about 10 minutes and they called us back.  After blood pressure, weight and temperature taken by his assistant, his nurse came in to the room.  Asked a few questions and left to get "The Boss" as she called him.  Dr. Nanda came in to the room then and answered a few questions Bill and I had.  I asked him why ten treatments?  His explanation was instead of giving me one large zap of radiation, they break it out in to 10 appointments.  This give the body 24 hours to head but since the cancer takes longer to heal, we want to get more radiation zapped in to the specific area.   Hoping to start shrinking the tumors I have on my head.  Again, 24 hours after that zap for the body to heal and hoping the tumor is shrinking more.  Hope I didn't make this part too confusing.

 We discussed Dr. Sarriera's plan of the new maintenance drug I will be taking once all this is over.  I will get the name of that drug soon.  Just haven't put it in my mind yet.  Bill explained to Dr. Nanda that we want this stuff out of me, gone, done.  He really wants to see me smile a real smile.  Dr. Nanda laughed and said that I was smiling the day of the planning when I asked him if I did my homework okay?  (The shaving of my head).  We also talk about me taking my Ativan.  I told him I many not take one tomorrow.  If the treatment is only going to take 10 to 15 minutes, I may be able to handle it.  Dr. Nanda's opinion is one of, "if you need them, take them)"

Bill finally called me around 4:30.  Did I ant to sleep of get ready to go to my monthly Myeloma
support group meeting?  Don't like to miss them so I was able to get up and get ready.  Pouring buckets when we left but 10 minutes out side of Casselberry, nothing.  Florida rainstorms.  Meeting was good.  Had our normal pasta plain and some sauce if you preferred, chicken breasts with spinach in a white sauce, eggplant parmesan, lasagna, salad and cannolis.  A rep from Velcade was our speaker tonight.  She was talking about a new drug coming into play for Multiple Myeloma.

When we went around the room telling about our Myeloma fight, once again Ben (the young guy who told me last meeting that I am his inspiration for hi) looked at me and said "You got this and you got this too Bill".

Quote:

You may see me struggle but you will never see me quit.


3 comments:

  1. Ben is right - Keep fighting Kathy, YOU GOT THIS!!!! love ya xoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete