Monday, July 17, 2017

Hey, I know those people in that car.

Day 6.  Yep, count with me, 4 more to go.  Today had different zaps.  Only had one long one.  I didn't know that was going to happen so didn't count how many seconds that was.  Confusing as to why this zap and then other times 11 or 12 zaps.  Met a new tech today that was working with Gabi and Josh.  Forget her name though.  Said she would see me tomorrow so I will get her name again.  Chemo/radiation brain.  ;)

After my treatment, I met with Dr. Nanda.  First his nurse, Karen, came in to see me.  She is such a bubbly person.  Seems like she never stops smiling.  Asked me a few questions, told her my questions for Dr. Nanda and she left to get him.  Dr. Nanda came in then and examined my head.  He noticed the lumps have not gone down but wasn't that concerned.  Not like I am.  He explained that even though the lumps haven't shrunk, it doesn't mean the radiation isn't working to kill the cancer cells.  As long as they aren't getting any larger, not to worry.  It may take up to several months for them to shrink if at all.  Again, he stressed as long as they aren't getting any larger, not to worry.  He said it's like when you buy stock; you constantly watch it every day for changes.  I am feeling those lumps every day, several times a day, looking for changes.  Need to not do that.  Hmm, easier said than done?  Also, explained the radiation treatments do not stop working the day of my last treatment.  It can continue up to several months afterwards.  He remarked that he didn't see any hair loss in the treatment area and that was a good thing.  I have noticed my hair is growing again.  Yippee.

I asked him how he determined the dosage of radiation to use.  This is done based on tests I have had, the simulation day and my cancer type.  And I remembered later Dr. Nanda presented my case to a group of doctors to discuss the best treatment plan for me.  I questioned the one long zap and the 11 or 12 zaps I have counted during the treatment.  He told me not to do that as I am given the same amount of radiation each time.  This is programed in to the computer which controls the treatment plan he has administered.

Dr. Nanda asked if I have notice any rash or itchiness in the area of treatment.  No to that.  Any other side effects?  I told him about the light headiness I experienced on Saturday.  First thing he asked - are you drinking enough water?  Well, I think so.  We even change to water that has a PH of 9.3 or better.  More alkalinity.  Good for cancer patients.  Maybe just my body telling me to rest a day.  He asked about any pain in the area of treatment.  I do have a shooting pain occasionally.  Nothing that lasts any amount of time.   Not real painful.  He didn't seem to be concerned about that.  This I was told previously, I may or may not see other side effects later.  Everyone is different in their reaction to radiation.  Fatigue seems to be the biggest problem.

I was told then to make an appointment to see him in 3 to 4 months.  If I have any concerns before that time, do not hesitate to call him.  I will now be turned back over to Dr. Sarriera.  He keeps getting me back.  LOL!!!!  I do have an appointment for labs and then to see him on August 3rd.

So all and all I had a good appointment with Dr. Nanda.  Seems there is nothing to be concerned about right now.  Finish my 4 treatments and then see what Dr. Sarriera has in mind for me.  May be another Pet Scan.  Oh joy, as Bill would say.  I just know we want this cancer kicked out of me.  Been dealing with it over a year now.  We know there are always going to be Myeloma cells somewhere in my body but we want to be able to control them with whatever meds are needed.  We don't want it to raise it's ugly head again in 6 months.  Needs to just leave us alone for a long time.

We were on the way home from my appointment and I noticed a black Honda Pilot a few feet in front of us.  Then I notice a blue Poodle and Pooch bumper sticker on the back.  Hey, I know those people in that car.  It was Kristi, Sasha and Ellie.  I waved as we went by but Kristi didn't notice.  So we slowed down and I stuck my hand out the window and waved.  They finally noticed us.  Sasha and Ellie put their windows down and were hollering it's Didi and Pap.  Told them we would stop at their house.  Last thing I heard was Sasha yelling - I love you Didi!!!  So sweet and special.  Made my day for sure.  Once we got to their house, both girls jumped out of their car and came for kisses and hugs from Didi and Pap.

Quote:

Dear Cancer.

Thanks for making me stop and listen and remember what's truly important.  You can go now.






No comments:

Post a Comment