Thursday, October 13, 2016

See you in a few!

Today was my last appointment with my oncologist Dr. Sarriera.  Today was a day of great news.  My labs all came back pretty good.  Two most important ones that check for Myeloma that Dr. Sarriera watch for are protein and light chains.

Protein level was 5.9, normal is 6.3-7.9.
If results show an abnormal level of protein in blood, then Multiple Myeloma or other autoimmune diseases may be indicated.

Kappa Free Light chains - Mine was 0.7990, normal is 0.3300-1.94
Lambda Free Light chains - Mine was 5.31, normal is 0.5700-2.63  My number seems high but waaayy lower than when first diagnosed.  So he was happy.
Kappa/Lambda ratio - Mine was 0.1467, normal is 0.2600-1.65
These light chains determine an increase or decrease in plasma cell production due to Multiple Myeloma disorders.

He was smiling the whole time he was talking to us.  We talked about the neuropathy and he told me to take the Gabapentine.  He praised me on how far I have come and how well I have done with the treatment plan.  We discussed the upcoming transplant.  Feels I will do well with it.  Yes, there will be side effects throughout, not so nice days!  Told him I was scared through some tears.  Again, very sympathetic and caring.  Told of a patient of his that had their transplant 20 years ago.

We discussed a possible maintenance plan after the transplant.   Usually use Revlimid but that one broke me out in hives.  Velcade gives me neuropathy.  May do a very low dose Revlimid.  But it sounds like that is months after the transplant.  Won't be on any chemo meds for a bit.  All depending on how it goes.

But BEST of all, I do not have to take my 17 pills tomorrow or any Friday from here on out.  No 10 steroids and 7 cyclophosphamide (chemo pills)!!!   Just my vitamins.  No low dose aspirin either.  Done, finished.

Bill is a big part of my treatment plan too.  Could not handle this without him.   Reading labels, making sure I have fruit every morning, making fresh ginger tea, broccoli and egg omelettes, making sure I drink enough water each day, letting me cry loudly in the shower just to name a few.  Next we head into the transplant together.  Bill my caregiver and me the patient.  Another adventure to tackle.

Quote:

Whenever you find yourself doubting how far you can go, remember how far you have come!



No comments:

Post a Comment