Friday, September 2, 2016

10th Floor?

Got to the Cancer Center a little early today so we could stop at the pharmacy for my Decadron (treatment steroids).  Taking 10 at once empties a bottle fast.  Decided to go to the cafe there for coffee and tea since we were early.  Most of you know how I am about elavators.  Push the button for the 4th floor and wouldn't stay lite but started up anyway. Next thing we know we are going up and up.  Of course, I start to panic.  Elevator stops on 10th floor. And there we sit.  Door doesn't open.  Full panic mode.  Prancing around.  Bill pushes other buttons and nothing.  Prancing and heavy breathing now.  Tell Bill to push the open door button to see what happens.  The door opens.  We are on tenth floor.  Receptionist looks at us and we tell her the problem and she said it's been like that all day.  No way was I getting in it again to go down to 4th floor. Stairs didn't take you all the way down.  There were two other elevators.  Just waited till one of the other ones finally took our call and took that one with me cramped in back with a bunch of other people.  Ugh.  Anyway, the time spent in the broken elevator felt like 2 hours but it was about 5 minutes.  Don't judge.  Lol

Last night around 2, I woke up with horrible achy, burning pains in my right leg from top to bottom and left leg bottom.  Nothing would ease it.  Finally subsided ard 4.  This has happened the last two nights.  Emailed Desiree this morning described symptoms.  She made arrangements with my chemo nurse, today was Kelly) to do testing with questions for possible neuropathy caused by Velcade (my chemo injection).  After question, decided not that.  Not sure exactly what is yet but we will continue to monitor.   Added over the counter B Complex to my daily meds.

Took my 10 treatment steroids, 7 cyclophosphamide, vitamins, baby aspirin making this week two of my new cycle.  Yippee.

Then on to Cancer Center.  Had my labs done.  Waited for results to mix injection. Results back but my platelets came back low. Thrombocytopenia-decreased in the number of platelets.  Chemo drugs (Cyclophosphamide my new one) temporarily stop cells and platelets from dividing.  Normal count is 145,000 to 355,000 cells.  Mine today was 71,000.  Nurse had to contact Dr. Sarriera to see if I was able to get my Velcade shot. Platelets are responsible for helping blood clot and line the inside of our blood vessels.  Thus, I am at an increased risk of bleeding with injury.   Lots of rules to follow.  Dr. Sarriera said get the shot and did not take me off the new drug.  Have to share this one rule - no contact sports.  And it's football season.  Oh well.

Finished our night at Kristi and Matt's with mom, Marilyn, Sasha and Ellie to have a belated birthday dinner for me.  Lasagna, salad, chicken and a chocolate cake from Nothing Bundt Cakes.  They even found candles saying FOREVER YOUNG.  Cake so good.   Took mom back to her new home and here I sit with steroid insomnia.  Same as every Friday steroid night.  🤓

Quote:

You have to fight through the bad days to earn the best days of your life!

4 comments:

  1. I love the quote. Kick cancer in the ass!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just sent you an email, kind of vague but I am sure you will get the message. Last nite I was up doing a pedicure, I should have called you. I never want a little phone alert to wake yu. I know that is all it takes for me as Kyle would message every morning between 5:30 and 6:30am and Harry and I are like clockwork checking in with each other when at the hospital.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The elevator deal had to be horrible for you. Not only because of the fear of not stopping or opening but even more for a superstitious one who must always leave by the same door she came in!

    ReplyDelete